Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: **Warning: Math**

Arrow yet another question

Has anyone here read Flatland? If not, it is an excellent book on dimensions (or the theory of), and an interesting story on the side.

Negative, how do you get to DS = CS from AS = BS?

One more thing, like Negative said, I want to hear all the theories that you can come up with or find, and try to be courteous when you are attempting to disprove someone else's theory.

Thank you still, and again, keep it all coming

oh, btw, please don't limit yourself to just the topics I (or another poster) bring up. Anything math related that is odd, peculiar, or otherwise interesting I would love to hear about.

Just in case anyone wonders what this has to do with security(or even computers), programs depend largely on math, and programs run almost in a computer.
    Preliminary operational tests were inconclusive (the dang thing blew up)

\"Ask not what the kernel can do for you, ask what you can do for the kernel!\"

i like the theories...
    any of you ever looked into fractals? for those who don't know, the most popular way of describing a fractal is an image that can be mathematically generated. on this thought, the whole shape of the universe could be a fractal equation... albeit a very complicated one. these images use recursive formula's and test to see certain conditions. for julia and mandelbrot (i probably spelt that wrong) sets, they test how fast a point on the graph approches infinity. for the newton's set, they use newton's formula for finding the roots of an equation, take a point, find the tangent to that point, find it's x-intercept, continue untill you have found the roots of the equation. i know it may seem like more work in some cases but it at least gives a computer an exact formula it can use to get those answers. actual fractal images use the square root of -1, i, so that certain things can't mix together and it creates one variable that can hold 2 points of a grid. last year my final project for computer ed. was a program that drew these fractal sets, it's writen for windows, it's what the school runs, and uses openGL so they look high quality, not like the 8-bit color dos ones. also, the fractals i made could be considered 3 dimensional, height/width of course, but the colors can be seen as a depth indicator. for 4 dimensional fractals look up quaternions... the math for them is pretty intense, it uses one scalar variable with 3 vector variables and you end up with dot products and everything else.

Banned
    We start with two positive numbers, a and b. Let's say a > b.

--> ab > bb
    --> ab > b2
    --> ab - a2 > b2 - a2
    --> a(b - a) > (b - a)(b + a)
    --> a > b + a

Weird science...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to make money:

1/4 USD = 25 cent

--> SQR (1/4 USD) = SQR (25 cent)

--> 1/2 USD = 5 cent

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Senior since the 3 dot era
    It's 100 percent true... If it ain't 100 percent true, it ain't math
    Negative is right about this one. If a logic / math system has holes, it isn't consistent.

There are always mysteries in math but therefore they are *not* false.

It's not because we could not figure it out that something is false.

For instance you could prove that the union of all even numbers is the same as the union of all numbers!

both are infinite... here is the solution: make a difference between countable infinite and uncountable infinite

sVo = countable infinite (= alefzero)

sVo
    2 = over countable infinite (2 cubed sVo)

Someone who knows

Here's a reason by someone who technically should know what they are talking about (ie. has a math degree/math professor).

Why can't we divide by zero?

It makes sense to me!
    - Stronzo

\"Vini, Vici, Vidi\"
    I came, I saw, I conquered.
    - Julius Caesar