Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Lindows an option??

Unhappy Is Lindows an option??

Just about a week ago a friend told me about Lindows (Lindows.com)..
    And I was wondering if anyone knows anything about wich Linxu kernel used and stuff like that...

I'm especialy interested in the security of it all... sice they are using micro$oft compatibilty ..

This operating system could be a good thing, It could finaly bring Linux to my parents ..

but i'm scraed of being by anyone with a bit of knowlige about microsoftbackdoors.
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

lindows......very interesting.....Im curious if its more linux like or windows like the other problem is why the hell would you want to run windows stuff anyway i mean were messing with 2 different societys open source and for profit this is just crazy stuff.but im always looking for new stuff to try i dont think it is going to be cheap though...and also if it can .exe and other executables whats going make it stand up against all those crappy winblows viruses??

Wink Games

Some of us like to play games..... And there are more for win than lin...

Hybrids are not the answer. If you play games, keep a Windows machine tucked away in a corner like I do (actually Ive got 2 windows machines tucked away in a corner, 1 98SE and 1 XP - Which ain't as bad as people make out, but hey this thread is not a discussion of XP so I won't go on about it here). I also have a linux machine displayed in a prominent position - I'm pround to have Linux... Windows has to be hidden away [Friends can't understand why I have this useless machine in full view and the two useful ones hidden away! How little they really know about usefulness!]

But hybrid clones are not the answer... Two completely different things cannot be effectively combined. Do you really expect Lindows or "Winfux" (Someone should create a version called that!) will be able to play games well anyway? If they're using a cross between 2 OS's, how are device drivers gonna work on things like 3d graphics... Will DirectX work on a linux-based graphics card driver?? I doubt it! Two separate machines is the answer. Lindows is not the question.
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)
    http://www.bytekill.net

Rewandythal you are the man....you are a true unix user...why cant more people be like you and me??

Exclamation

hybrids are really a stupid idea. in order for it to work, you would have to sacrifice the awesome power of linux for the crappy "user-friendly" powers of windows.... so not worth it. people who don't like linux are usually people who have a lower intelligence then a monkey and can't understand it. put linux on your box and keep a windows box on the side, or partition if you can't afford two boxes.

Avoiding windows is not allways an option, at some point, you want to play games or maybe even land a job somehwere as an administrator where most people use wintel.
    But I sure as hell know what to pick if I ever wanted to build my own webserver. And it aint IIS I am thinking about.

Cool Hmmm?

I've got to say it's an interesting idea, maybe a baldwick class cunning plan (watch blackadder). If you want to run Windows software I would try:
    -Dual Boot - now easy to set up as long as you don't mind partitioning
    -Emulation - WINE (www.wine.org) is comming along but I don't think it's quite there yet, certainly not for games
    -VM's - I use VMware, it lets me boot any OS I want inside a windows on Linux, (www.vmware.com).

If anyone can work out how LindowsOS works please post somat, I couldn't get on thier site!

Talking LINDOWS does RULE

RTFM (lindows)

Lindows is based on a totaly new version of wine.. wich includes remakes (not RIPS) of all DLLs, if U use wine you still need windows on another partition..
    And XP won't work (yet) on wine...
    I have ran a lot of direct3d games under wine and that DOES work...
    But we'll see in late December/early January when Lindows will come out.....

I agree with the_jinx, we should wait and see. I'm not too impressed with the folks behind this project, however after visiting their site I discovered it's really Linux not a new or hybrid OS. A layer of translation code runs between the kernel and the windows software. Hence the question is really, how many errors are folks willing to put up with?