Thread: Routing Problems

Routing Problems

Im using openBSD 4.3 and im having trouble routing. Heres the setup.....I have 3 nics in the box on is connected to the cable modem the second one is connected to a openBSD box that scans all incomming packets for viruses and also does a checksum on all incomming trafic now when thats done it connects to the third and final nick in the openBSD 4.3 box...now heres my problem....for some reason it won't let me connect to my third nick....I've checked the nic and the cable. Now if anyone has any idea as to what could be the problem i would be very thankfull

Here are a few ideas that popped into my head when I read your post.

- When you do an ifconfig do all three NIC's show up?
    - Are all three NIC's the same brand/model? If not is the one that is different built into the kernel?
    - If they are all the same brand/model have a look at /dev, are there entries for all three NIC's (intel pro 10/100 example. ) You should see if these were intel 10/100's:
    fxp0
    fxp1
    fxp2

Do they all have the same permissions?

Run a dmesg to a file and look to see if the box sees it on boot-up. example: # dmesg > dmesg.txt

Is the PCI slot any good? Has it worked for another device?

If all of the above get you nowhere, or right form the beginning, run tcpdump to a file for a little bit on each NIC. Especially the #3 NIC, what does it have to say?

Have a look at /usr/src/sys/i386/conf and your kernel config file. Is there support for that many NIC's built in already? If not change it and rebuild the kernel. also have a look at LINT while you are in this directory, it explains all of the kernel setup options. ( if I remember right the kernel config file and LINT are in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf that is where they are in FreeBSD and NetBSD anyway )

If none of this works try looking around or, repost what you have found. You can email your dmesg output to me at psi0nic@blackcodemail.com, would be happy to help you out if I can.

Hope this helps, and you get it resolved.

Ahhhhh my stupid pci slot is bad i tested it all that work for something so simple thanks for your help....

Unix Live Free Or Die

You are welcome, it sucks that the slot is bad, but I am glad to hear you figured it out.

I do not remember OpenBSD being @ version 4.3 I believe they are releasing 3.0 next month.
    Or did you mean something else?

Doesn't *BSD use some magical and mystical funky versioning system? I remember hearing something a while back about the same thing...
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

After consideration of the version question my guess is that linuxcomando may mean `FreeBSD 4.3'. 4.3 Release came out just a few months back. I believe that 2.5 is that latest OpenBSD on the streets.

Your right...my..mistake...its freebsd 4.3 openbsd is currently at version 2.9