Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free web space

Free web space

Hey I'm looking up places to set up a webpage. I'm looking for free space becuase I don't have that much money. Anyway does anyone know of some good companys or sites to set a web page.
    My mom said that her AOL allows her to do it, but I seriously doubt it.

ALso is it possible to set one up from my house, I'm not sure how to set one up because I've never done it before. I've got extra computer that I could probably use as a server. Any good info on that would be cool.

Hey I'm looking up places to set up a webpage. I'm looking for free space becuase I don't have that much money. Anyway does anyone know of some good companys or sites to set a web page.
    goto fortunecity.com if i remember right it gives you about 20-30 mb of free space
    ALso is it possible to set one up from my house, I'm not sure how to set one up because I've never done it before. I've got extra computer that I could probably use as a server. Any good info on that would be cool.
    i'm pretty sure you would need a 24/7 fast internet connection. you could use Windows IIS server or use a linux box.
    hope that helped
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

Fortunecity may give out 20-30 megs, but Angelfire gives you 50. That's what I used for a while.

As far as setting up your own web server, it's not hard, and you don't necessarily have to do it from a 24/7 fast connection. You do need a static address, though. I believe there are workarounds if you have a dynamic address, but it would be a headache. Contrary to what some people believe, you do not need a dedicated T1 line (or equivelant) for your web server. I do mine on a 166 running Red Hat, from my cable connection (ssh... don't tell). I know about the whole shared-bandwidth argument on running webservers on a cable connection, but on average, my file sharing engine uses many times more bandwidth than my web server.

The program I use is Apache. It's not that hard to configure, especially if you have ever had to configure network connections on Linux. The only critical configurations you have to make are the address and port it listens to, and the location of your files. You should still filter through the whole file, though. Do not, I repeat, do NOT use Microsoft's IIS. I tried it, and even when the service managed to start, it was flaky as hell.

If you do decide to set-up your own web server, I would recommend you go to www.iscool.net and sign up for a URL forwarding service. It's free, and you won't have to depend on the IP and port for people to connect.

Overall, I think the hardest part of setting up a web server is figuring out what the hell to put on it.

Talking

I used crosswinds.net for a while. They gave me free space well... unlimited space but they had popups but im shure you could find a banner killer somewhere.

I recommend brinkster.com. You don't get very much space(20mb), but you can implement a database (access) and use ASP-scripting! And there's no advertisements! The only catch is it's a little slow..... But the only place on the web for ASP-scripting, anyway.....

If you want to use a server at home with a dynamic IP-address, there's a solution to that problem. It's called dns2go, and is a small app that sends your current IP to some server. You get an address (eks. proactive.d2g.com), and using that as a URL, will lead directly to the dynamic IP. Simple as that!
    ---
    proactive

Thanks That was some good advise.

www.freewebsites.com

50 mb I think, no popups, and a lot of choices for the site name plus FTP service and other stuff. Very good.
    Why am I still here?

Arrow

Look here -> Perl/CGI, PHP-MySQL and no ads.

I got 100 megs with these guys
    shitty file upload size though
    but fast

http://www.esmartstart.com/

and these ive just started with
    a lame 20 megs

http://www.tripod.lycos.com/build/welcome/build.html

might be good for people that are new to web design..not sure..

O yeah if you have a fastish connection take a look at this video i thought it was well funny

http://charlatanz.multiservers.com/spud.html

Setting up your own web server is the best thing. I mean you have tons more free space. You don't have to agree with the terms and a greements and you can up load whatever you want + It shows that you know something and not affraid to at least try it. I use Open Linux. Its very stable and pritty secure

Also I use a dedicated 65k ISDN Dialup Its cheep and its all that I need

Good Luck
    -=SolarisMKA=-