Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why computers?

Wink How? Why? When???

Great question! I have always wanted to know how things work, I was one of those anoying kids always asking questions like "Why does it do that?" and whenever I didn't see any more use for a toy I would atack it with a screw driver. I remember My first computer was an Amstrad which I played Harier Atack on, We had RM Nimbus's and BBC's at school with a few Acorn's. I now sit at home surrounded by bit's of PC, Acorn and Mac.

I got into security since I hated one of my schools and had fun with the computers, I now try to help make systems secure, that seams harder than breaking into them.

------------------------------------
    Two wrongs don't make a right,
    Two lefts do!
    ------------------------------------

Why do I use computers?? coz I find them interesting and at times a challenge.. also, they are nicer to me than my friends are...
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

AntiOnline Senior Member
    Well, I have been playing games on computers since I got a mac plus back in 88 or so, and ever since then, my interest in games became an interest in computers.

I started building computers from parts I would buy at a computer show, started web design and HTML, started learning C, then found AO and grc.com and thats what started my interest in security.

Thumbs up JUST COUSE

I started getting interested in safty and computers when some ass backorificed me back in 98 or something...

I wanted to be better... the Mess with the best die like the rest (hackers) kind of ****..

So i started reading and learning about this kind of thing.. Early 2000 I found this website ( www.antionline.com )..
    I even got a mail adress here ( Anne_Jan@Antionline.org )

And what's next... Together with a couple of m8s we're trying to hack our way into our own XP server... and ofcourse our LINUX backup server..

Betetr hack yourselve than get hacked..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Wink since i was 6 years old

I started using computers when my dad bought a commodore64 back in the time that was the hight in gameing and excitement ..
    Then we got our hands on a brand new 286 12Mhz with vga graphics... the time i spent playing games and programming (QuickBasic 4.5) using a black and white (paperwhite) VGA monitor... Lateron we got a 133 Mhz pentium.. that was fun.. finaly I could run windows 95... (I only got 3.0 working on my 286, 3.1 wouldn't work ! !)...

So what do I run now? A AMD 1.33Ghz running tripple boot...

What do I do with it? programm... Kylix, Borland c++B5, MS vC++6 you name it....

But thinking back... I still love the CBM64 most... call it nostalgia !!
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Banned
    Basically my brother was into computers and it rubbed of me when I was growing up then it faded.

Then a friend of mine told me he was a hacker! A hacker jesus I was afraid to e-mail the guy in cause he blew up my puter. So I started wanting to protect myself against him when he told me he could take control of my pc from his.
    I found out about trojans and decided jesus anybody could easily mess me up on the net if they wanted to I better get secure, he got me a firewall and began showing me tricks.
    He then told me to install Linux, which I did and I began to get more interested as time went on until I got addicted.
    He himself dosent get upt o much and is glad I got into security instead of becoming a script kiddie [he dosent use Sub7 btw he's actually pretty good at programming and so on.]
    So here I am today all thanks to him I suppose.

Talking keep growing mentally!!!

I have ventured into the computer field because I never want to consider myself above learning (and because I enjoy it!!!!!!) There is so much to learn and apply in the computer field that I will never grow bored. If I do it is because I am lazy. I wanted philosophy or sociology, but these are fields you get your doctorate in and simply debate with your students if you go into teaching... which I would had I chosen philosophy or sociology. This is an attempt at prevent the crippeling of my mind as I grow old. We have all encountered those individuals who are unable to learn/grasp new technology and concepts because their brain hasn't been forced to learn and apply anything new.

I first got into computers about 3 summers ago, when I was looking for a summer job, as the school year was coming to a close. My father told me I could work for him as a sort of apprenticeship thing, as long as I was willing to learn computers. Of course, with such an opportunity presented to me, how was I to refuse? It was my first week, and I was spending it making copies (bleh). One day, in the middle of my copies, one of the techs had managed to get his account locked out. He walked into my dad's office (my dad was doing something elsewhere at the time), so I went to check it out, and he showed me what he was doing since he was already there. Not an hour later, an employee, not being able to find one of the techs, decided to come to me, saying he couldn't log in, and it was giving him "a locked out error, or something silly like that". I went into my dad's office, and unlocked his account. Him, not knowing much about computers, gave me this look like "you a genius or something, boy?". Just then, it was as if a light had switched on in my head. I started learning more. It was slow at first (you have to walk before you learn to run) but then I started learning faster, getting into the details about PC repair, and the fine points of networking. That was my first summer. I have since completed two more summers there, and I know a hell of a lot more than I did after the first summer. Hell, I could probably run that network right now. When I'm not working there, I'm usually at home working on my PC (which I built myself). It's about a year and a half old now, but it still kicks the ass of most new PCs out there in most areas. I spend a lot of time on it just dinking around. If I come across something neat I can do, I do it. I even built the network that this machine sits on. Right now, I'm learning Linux, and am getting ready to attempt to learn C. I hope to someday build myself a little supercomputer from nothing but old junkers I have been given for free. I know it's not too realistic, but don't squelch my dream, OK?

why i started

Well im just like Slide009, my dad was always around computers, and he did a little h____ back in the day... aroung the first board rooms etc... but he knows of my bad habits and he always finds a way to out smart me.

but i really got interested two summers ago when i was looked up in my dads house, and all there was was a tv and a computer. and i was talking to my friend and he told me to go to this community )online) and make a page, well thas when i learned html.... and my intrest sparked then...... oh yea, playing around with school networks and security helped out alot....