Thread: help?? going insane ethernet

help?? going insane ethernet

Ok sorry for the other post it seems i didnt make myself clear in it. I`m getting diff. answers from people i im online and junk. Ok this one should be clear. I need to connect 2 computers and i have a dialup modem i wanna have 2 computers use 1 modem as well. I know i need a crossover cable, 2 ethernet cards . DO I NEED A HUB?????

THANKS

if you have a crossover cable, you do not need a hub...

If you gots no crossover cable, you needs a hub..

I think, never tried it though, although, from the theory I remember, you have to have a crossover cable to go direct between two machines.

IchNiSan

Yup, 123, your right... you do have to have a crossover to direct to the other machine....
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

either crossover or a hub yes, but you need to configure DHCP as well, altough if you think you need help download Sygate home network.

Focmaester..
    He don't actually have to configure DHCP..
    If he's running Linux, he can use.. IP Chains & IP Tables (I think thats it, never used linux before, just read lots)
    If he's running Windows he can use ICS...
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

Ymets2k01,
    What operating systems are on the machines?

If you use win9x onward and enable internet connection sharing it will set you lan card to 192.168.0.1 and therefore the other machine will need to be set at 192.168.0.x (not 1) with a gateway of 192.168.0.1

If linux then more info required

If you dont have a cross cable then you will need a hub.

Do you have the RJ45 tools to make a cross cable? if so you need to swap pin 1 (white & orange) with ping 3 (white & green) and pin 2 (orange) with pin 6 (green).

Dont forget to give the second machine DNS or you will not be able to resolve anything. An easy test is to go to a site by ip address if this works and the domain name doesnt then you have forgotten the DNS.

Paul

The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his!

AntiOnline Senior Member
    No hub needed.. Just a crossover cable, knowledge how to configure DHCP or some software that makes it easy.

Crossover cable

if you need to build a crossover cable I created a tut here on how to make one.

It would be cheaper to buy or make a crossover cable then to get a hub or switch.
    hope this helps
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

There was some discussion here a while back as to the benefits of dhcp, I said dhcp was great for networking any number of machines, Terr said if its under 8 or 9 (i think), dhcp isn't worth it - whilst i don't agree with that entirely, i'm inclined to think setting up dhcp between 2 pc's connected by a X over cable is overkill.
    Ymets2k01 - You most definately do not need a hub to network 2 machines, a cross over cable is perfectly adequate. Networking 2 windows boxen is like knocking snow off a rope, a proverbial piece of piss - rather that rehashing the steps to do it here, have a look at this -
    http://www.lincezone.com/homenetworking/proxy_setup.htm