Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is up with the AO forums?

What is up with the AO forums?

I have noticed since soming to the AO forums that there is a funny thing that goes on here.

Things are often posted that have little or nothing to do with security. Like `how do I set up X Windows in Red Hat' or some other question in the *nix security forum. I am always willing to help out another if I can. I guess that the name *nix security would seem to me to have more things like preventing or detecting root-kits on your *nix box or something like that. In other words the security forums often have only a few posts about security in them. I do respond to these non-security questions if I feel that I can help, but that is just me. I would simply like to see more *security* being discussed on the site.

Tutorials. I have seen tutorials ripped straight from someone else's site, some that I suspect were simply re-written in the posters own words, some that were all original material, and a couple that were just not even helpful or even acurate whether they were plagerized or not. Some posters get away with work that I suspect is not their own, and others get busted on it. Since few of these are really all that good anyway, why not just find some good/accurate ones, clean them up if they need that , and give the original author some or all of the credit (as the case dictates).

`How do i hack [insert exploitable thingy here]?'
    Come on now, there are a hundred sites and irc channels where you can get this info. It is like asking 'how do I do a drive by?' 'How do you pick a lock?' `How do you roll a joint?' Not only are these the kind of questions that reflect badly on the poster but on any responders that help out. They just aren't the kind of thing that is appropriate at a site where the intent is to improve the readers knowledge of securing a system or systems. A genuine interest in how a thing is done is a different story though for the prupose of knowledge and a better understanding of security.

Polls. Polls are ok, but how many `What OS?' Polls do we actually need floating around out there? `Should I stay or should I go?' and other such things are alright but I would recommend keeping these to a minimum. A great suggestion on any forum is to look back into the threads pretty far before posting to see if the issue has been covered or not. ( Which I did not do in this case, I felt like bitching and was too lazy to read all the other gripes of the past) I have noticed that when someone does post to an older thread it hits the main page anyway, so it isn't like these get completely buried and forgotten.

Last but not least is flames. I don't think flames are a bad thing as long as the person either had it coming due to a post (perhaps this one? ) or a reply. Feel free to flame me or even correct me if you care to. On the subject of corrections, be sure and correct the person on something that they actually said. Not the perception of what was said. In short.. Flame/correct away if that is what you like to do, just be sure and have your sh*t together if you come after me.

My chief concern here is a potentially useful site, ....maybe.

Cool

Neo....

Neo...

wake up neo...

Re: What is up with the AO forums?

Originally posted by psi0nic
    I have noticed since soming to the AO forums that there is a funny thing that goes on here.

Things are often posted that have little or nothing to do with security. Like `how do I set up X Windows in Red Hat' or some other question in the *nix security forum. .

I think you'll find that was me. That's right, I posted the thread "How do I install xfree86 under zipslack?"

I can assure you that I will be watching every post you make from now on and if I find any that are not security related you shall know about it.

How dare you come here with your 40 odd posts and question what I have to ask. I seem to remeber you pm'ing me a week or so ago for an Opera crack. I don't think that is very security related.

I suggest you think twice before posting threads that have no real meaning other than increasing the amount of posts you've made...

Scanning through your post psi0nic, one thing stood out to me:
    {asking how to hack} is like asking 'how do I do a drive by?' 'How do you pick a lock?' `How do you roll a joint?
    Asking how to hack is NOT like asking how to roll a joint, how do you put that in the same sentance as lock picking and drive by's? anybody asks me how to roll a joint, i'll tell em![0]

[0] Thats not to say i'm advocating the use of drugs for minors, if you're under 16 - drugs are bad!

i agree with psi0nic

Okay, the above post obviously is getting some negative attention. And while I do not apologize for the intent of any of it, I do apologize for not explaining my points clearly enough not to offend anyone on the trivial stuff (or anyhing else for that matter). But I must repsond to this alligation that I wen thunting for a crack for Opera. I did however accept the offer for one though.

The original post that started this was at http://www.antionline.com/showthread...203#post303203

Quote:
    Most browsers suck in one way or another. I really don't like IE but I would have to admit that is works quite well. Mozilla has always had issues, Netscape has always been a problem child and I really don't like the interface as others have mentioned (ditto to mozilla). Opera is alright but I don't like that a pay version is required to get rid of that stupid banner (may have changed by now). Galeon is the best for *nix users, but there again it is dependent on Mozilla which is lame.

Someday, maybe when we are old men, there will be a browser that doesn't suck.

As for Netscape 6.2 I will have to hear a lot of good things about it before I waste any bandwith on it.

If only lynx could display images

I seem to remeber you pm'ing me a week or so ago for an Opera crack. I don't think that is very security related.

No.... Actually you PM'd me.

Conf1rm3d_K1ll
    11-26-2001 08:34 PM

Opera

If you enjoy using Opera but don't like the fact that you have to pay I could give you a serial number if you like?

To which *I did* reply and say that I would like that.

Conf1rm3d_K1ll
    Re: Opera
    11-27-2001 02:49 AM

Launch the Opera browser, click on help,than register. Enter any name and organisation you like than copy and paste this serial number- x-Exxxx-xxxxS-3mxxx-xxxFh-xxxWk

Have fun with your registered copy of Opera!

To which I replied and thanked Conf1rm3d_k1ll.

Like I said:
    Flame/correct away if that is what you like to do, just be sure and have your sh*t together if you come after me.
    petemcevoy wrote:
    Asking how to hack is NOT like asking how to roll a joint, how do you put that in the same sentance as lock picking and drive by's? anybody asks me how to roll a joint, i'll tell em![0]

True, that is not a good analogy, but I think the point still gets across. Asking these kinds of questions is a matter of context. With the hopes that the information will be used constructively to imporve the security of a system. `What steps can be taken to prevent the installation of a root-kit, and how does the attacker install one to begin with?'' Is a much better question to ask than ``How do you get a root-kit on a Unix box?'' The argument could be made that the question is the same thing, it kind of is, but one implies prevention. That is really all I meant by that.

Conf1rm3d_K1ll also wrote:
    I think you'll find that was me. That's right, I posted the thread "How do I install xfree86 under zipslack?"

I did not say that these should not be in that forum, or that they irritate me. I suppose that what I meant to say is that if you look, this is about the only kind of post in the *nix security forum. There just isn't much in the way of security in there. I guess I picked on that one because Unix security is what I am most interested in. Ask questions about `how-to' do somthing in *nix, I really don't care, and if you look I have probably got the majority of my posts in these forums in response to questions that interested me and I knew a little about.

Lightbulb Re: What is up with the AO forums?

Things are often posted that have little or nothing to do with security. Like `how do I set up X Windows in Red Hat' or...
    And how much does this have to do with security??? You are just adding garbage to the site with your words here that are full of dead air! If this is to be a security site and you want to hear less chatter about other things then stop posting this crap! Start replying to security issues or posting some SECURITY issues of your own!

Tutorials. I have seen tutorials ripped straight from someone else's site, some that I suspect were simply re-written in the posters own words...
    First, if you think it's plagerism then prove it. Secondly, if you like to read these so much, then post an informative one of your own and stop whining like a 12 year old AO addict that has had his internet privledges taken away!!!!!!

Come on now, there are a hundred sites and irc channels where you can get this info. It is like asking 'how do I do a drive by?' .....understanding of security.
    Now you are just rambling, you won't recieve any respect for these meaningless wordy threads that have no meaning!

Last but not least is flames. I don't think flames ....
    I think you need to invest in a fire extinguisher, although you need to post this in the "I am never satisified" forum.... ask JP to make you one!

My chief concern here is a potentially useful site, ....maybe.
    If you leave I won't miss you!!!!!! This site is what you make of it, and at the moment I feel as though you aren't making anything of it at all.

Angry

Things are often posted that have little or nothing to do with security.
    - psi0nic
    Excuse me! this is the "GENERAL CHITCHAT FORUM" Members can talk about what ever they want to in here. If you want to post something on security or anything else. . . choose one of the other forums.
    "Never give in-never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy!" - Winston Churchill

Cool

AO is no longer a security site.

Its a chitchat forum
    ------------EViLSEED
    Hackers are impervious. Resistant is futile.

Banned

Re: What is up with the AO forums?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by psi0nic

First thing everyone notices these things but we dont rant on about it.....

Tutorials. I have seen tutorials ripped straight from someone else's site
    I have cut and pasted some tutorials and always given credit, in fact take a look at my tuts and you'll see. I post them because some ppl just browse these forums and dont visit other sites where the tuts may be found.

Come on now, there are a hundred sites and irc channels where you can get this info. It is like asking 'how do I do a drive by?' 'How do you pick a lock?' `How do you roll a joint?' Not only are these the kind of questions that reflect badly on the poster but on any responders that help out. They just aren't the kind of thing that is appropriate at a site where the intent is to improve the readers knowledge of securing a system or systems. A genuine interest in how a thing is done is a different story though for the prupose of knowledge and a better understanding of security.
    This has been debated so many times, rant rant rant we know, every forum experiances this you are not the first to notice, just ignore what you dislike and focus on what you deem neccesary.

Polls. Polls are ok, but how many `What OS?' Polls do we actually need floating around out there? `Should I stay or should I go?' and other such things are alright but I would recommend keeping these to a minimum. A great suggestion on any forum is to look back into the threads pretty far before posting to see if the issue has been covered or not. ( Which I did not do in this case, I felt like bitching and was too lazy to read all the other gripes of the past) I have noticed that when someone does post to an older thread it hits the main page anyway, so it isn't like these get completely buried and forgotten.
    Here we go again, heard it all before......

Im not trying to flame you just point out that posts like this will not stop the problem or make us all go, ahhh I never realised we had these problems!
    The more rants posted the more distraction from real issues we recieve, if I was not posting to this I would be doing something more constructive or helping someone out but I feel it is a subject that needs to be pointed out to people.

Do not forget. This visitation
    Is but to whet thy almost blunted purpose