Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: computer screw-ups

I have burned CPUs, break motherboards, send ESD to RAMs, Hard Disks and math coprocessors.

I have broken cases and destroyed FDs by mistake.

I have messed up system files (Windows) and insert > (Linux) **** text on important documents.

So, everyone makes mistakes, and I also enjoy messing things up and learning how to fix them back.

I too have had my share of screw-up's. I am a member of the

rm -rf (as root, from the root directory) club.

Unix doesn't like that very much.

Jesus... much as it annoys me when my computers **** up, i enjoy the process of workin out why and repairing them because its the learning process... I live for knowledge.

[Some people say knowledge is power... if that were true i'd be in search of a nuclear generator!!!]
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)
    http://www.bytekill.net

Not to long ago

my previous post took place about eight years ago

A woman called me up; she got my name from another woman for whom I had built a few computers. Well, her computer would not detect a dial tone so I checked the connection and everything seemed fine, it was plugged into both the wall and the modem, no bent pins, nothing. So I fooled with the software for about an hour. I was willing to admit defeat when it hit me, the phone jack itself may not be functioning, I hooked up a regular phone and bam there the problem lay no dial tone, took me five min to hook up the jack for her. Turns out the phone company never ran a cable to the wall jack.
    err...

Uhm... I might have toasted a 66mhz 486DX by putting it in the socket backwards... I never quite figured out why it just stopped working after I put it in...

Hmm... losing non-file data when I forget that I can't have two things residing on Windows copy/paste (clipboard) at the same time...

Do you mean Hardware bloopers or software? I tend make a lot of little mistakes, rather than a few humungous ones. Actually, I bet I did make a few humungous ones, but I was too traumatized, and it's a blocked-off memory...

Oughta run scandisk on my brain.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Yeh I'm like that... Always losing data on the windows clipboard.. always pressing the "Power Off" button on the keyboards at school (I dont have stupid power setting buttons on my own computer keyboards - they get in the way of controlling the computer!)...If you find a Scandisk for Human Brain please let me know about it
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)
    http://www.bytekill.net

oooooops !!

Thank you for the (most) courteous question !!

My first puter was an XT-Turbo, 640k, 20 meg hd, and monochrome screen (CGA hadn't come out yet)........And I knew absolutely ZERO about it. I crashed it, abused it, and generally messed it up really good.

We ALL had to start sometime. And there is always someone who knows more than we do. Asking questions is the only way we learn; and I've asked my share. Now I try to answer them as best I can.

Also having run into 'Instant Experts' who thought I was totally stupid cause I didn't know to do something they considered simple.

It makes one wonder if the 'Instant Expert' was born with a complete working knowledge of computers. Guess they never were a beginner, and never ever asked a question.

Keep asking questions.

Banned

Smile

Well I erm melted my mother board putting in the wrong power cables to my cdrom and then dunno. just completley toasted. "

"So how would you like AMD sir ? Medium or Well done ? I'm sorry sir we only have Well done and ash left."

hmm dont feel bad if there are people who act like theyre God's gift to computers or they are so up them selves thinkin they are computer wizards coz they are not... thats its the kind of environ ment you'd get in the computer industry..

i know some people that are like that, especially in my skool...
    i know some kidd who thinks he's all that coz he's a wizard in linux...

but when we had a match on who can hack into the main server of our skool's network.. he was 5 mins behind me..

i know that was a bad idea to hack into your skool's server but i just needed to teach the guy a lesson.

the workstations and servers were all in Windows NT4 and i know the SAM DUMP trick by heart. he didnt.. so yeah..

all of us have our own strong points. most linux monkeys are weak when it comes to windows and most windows guru's are weak when it comes to linux..

thats why sites like this are created so we can all share and fix our weak points...

im sure you have your own strong points.. and mistakes are just part of learning.. I accidentally deleted win.com in my winux (Windows + Linux) box. my windows 2000 wont load.. then a week after.. i accidentally deleted command.com. lickuly some there's a cab file in the HDD that has a copy of command.com

sebastos12
    When my father gave me a gift and it was a pentium, i was so excited with the idea of the exploration so i don't sleep for three days. I was doing that i was sleeping and at 10 o'clock i was going to the computer and start exploring the system. After 2 months i opened the computer and and connect to internet, after this you can imagine what happened. ;-)))