Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: computer screw-ups

Mistakes, almost essential

The only way to learn how to do more than the basics on a computer w/out damaging it in some way:

1. read, read, read

2. study, study, study

3.never, ever, ever, touch a computer
    Preliminary operational tests were inconclusive (the dang thing blew up)

\"Ask not what the kernel can do for you, ask what you can do for the kernel!\"

The only way to learn how to do more than the basics on a computer w/out damaging it in some way:
    1. read, read, read

2. study, study, study

3.never, ever, ever, touch a computer
    Ain't that the truth. Except why would you never want to touch a a computer.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

larryjs
    I have a couple of dozeys for you(and the second is within the last 6 months) My stupidest software mistake was downloading a file and decompressing it into my root directory(512 file entry limit) the next day I treid to erase some of the entires and deleted something critical.I hosed win 95. when I went to reinstall windows I got halfway thru and used all the root directory entries up and locked it up at the reinstall.the result was a full format/reinstall.That was a longggg time ago. For something really STUPID i was building an athon 1ghz box and forget to plug the cpu fan in.it was a crispy critter.Now thats bad. But THEN I got a replacement(from my cool and understanding source)I rebuilt the machine again this time with the fan plugged in. It booted..almost posted and went dead. when i took it apart it turns out I forgot the put the thermal paste on the cpu(building a couple of hundred systems in my life) what a dumbass I was. I am now in a postion to help alot of new users and enjoy doing so
    I just hate know-it-all complaining geeks(I now know as much as most of them) but thats not saying much

Smile hihi

it happens with everybody and i agree with ennis "we learn from mistakes"...i still remember it happened with me once...and this is the incident i willl never forget in my life....
    it was my 16th day on my new job as a system programmer adn i was suppose to check certain programmes which where huge satellite communication programmes , i was working on them and also was very much tired , my head was heavy as i was working since 36 hours non-stop. and i don't know what command i gave that deleted 163 programmes from that particular directory. and i nearly felt dizzzy.....

i was using unix , but then luckily we were having back ups ans so we restored it back...

so it happens......

intruder...

sebastos12
    I haven't read all the posts, but with one thing i agree:" we learn from mistakes, but we can destroy many things with big mistakes" I'm philosopher like ancient Greek people.

Senior since the 3 dot era

Exclamation

Originally posted by casper3699
    make sure the power is unpluged before you play take it all apart.
    I disagree:

Only power off the box, keep the powercord plugged in otherwise you have the risk of ESD. With the power cord plugged the electrostatic discharge goes threw the earth cable (or your body) so it helps against ESD. (This goes for every repair on the unit except of course the transfo!)

don't ever try to clean up your desktop in a windows box by deleting icons
    i deleted that damn "e" and lost my internet connection
    so i couldnt connect to do an update and try to get it reinstalled
    couldnt install it off the oem
    couldnt just reformat i had 60 full gigs of mp3s
    sooo
    i finally just upgaded, no downgraded from 98se to ME
    blah
    Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far. - Theodore Roosevelt

I once plugged a current wire into the ground connection on a motherboard. Pushed the power on button, threw the circuit breaker in my house, and smoke starting coming off the board. woo, yeah baby, fun stuff.

Senior since the 3 dot era
    I had Norton Systemworks tried to resolve a 'problem' on the master boot record of the first HDD. Norton did not see that the box was using a bual boot config (NT4.0 and Linux) so all that the box did after the repair was giving a black screen with a blinking cursor in the left upper corner.
    Norton overwrited LILO.

I had the luck to be the owner of a Linux boot floppy; it was the only way to get the MBR back. No way M$ could bring a solution.

I am now in a postion to help alot of new users and enjoy doing so
    No you're not, you don't know **** and you're a bitter, twisted little **** - most of the advice you dole out is wrong, and you talk nothing but ****. "I wrote an os, i'll post the source code" - so do it then. "i work for microsoft" - as much as i'd like to think you work for microsoft, acting as a catylyst to thier imminent downfall, i have a hard time believing you work at anything that involves using your brain you absolute imbecile.