Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Questions about Linux

Nobody mentioned this, But....

There is a way you can check Linux out without diving in head first. - It is called "WinLinux" and will install/run right from your windows partition. (removes easily, too)
    I dove in head first on Redhat 5.2 and it was weeks before my facial tick went away - LOL
    Check out winlinux and then decide on what flavor!

Get WinLinux Here.......

I don't know about you guys but I've been using OpenLinux by caldera for the longest time now and i have to say that for me that was an easy install. easier than windows. I love it!!! Its got way more games comes with a viraety of editors although I use vi alot and a wonderfull KDE desktop. And before that OS I was completely new to the linux world. However if your running a server and your paraniod like me then your best bet is OpenBSD!!!! Its the most secure
    -=SolarisMKA=-

I too agree that this discussion should be moved to the *nix discussions forum. It is however, a good topic - just started in the wrong place. Keep the ideas flowing though folks.

-The Eeshman

AntiOnline Senior Member
    [shadow]uraloony, Founder of Loony Services[/shadow]
    Visit us at
    [gloworange]http://www.loonyservices.com/[/gloworange]

Thumbs up

I always like to read a good book.
    Many publishers have put out very good
    books on linux, often including a cdrom
    with the full install, and even additional
    commercial software.
    It's lonely staring at that black
    screen for the first time.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

i use slackware 7 / win 98
    its good for all my needs any thing i dont like it i change
    its hard to configure linux but when good configured its the best

i took a while to learn how to use it properly but if you gone see
    its like if you had started with linux and wanted to install windows now, of course it will be easier but...
    Nobody Born The Best
    But Some Born To Be The Bests...

i guess i have to give you a link that will make it easier for you to understand what would you link. i first started reading until i got the point. i wish you too will be lucky to used linux.

all the stuff about documentations are right here:

http://www.linuxdoc.org

warning: Once you run linux on you're box. I promise you that you're life will be never the same. I promise that. So, go ahead and do some cool programming.
    \"The more you ignore me... the closer i get!\"

hehehehe
    this is true

you will never change again

linux will be your master ehheh
    Nobody Born The Best
    But Some Born To Be The Bests...

Antionline Herpetologist
    Feel free to flame me if I'm wrong, but I have always felt that RedHat/Mandrake have one huge advantage over Debian/GNU, RPM. I mean DEB packages are alright but RPMs are just so widespread that all you really have to do to install software in redhat is a rpm -ivh filename command or use KDE or GNOME's package manager and gnoRPM respectively.

I'm curious just what it is you are saying is a huge advantage for red hat/mandrake - that rpm's are widespread? that you find it easier to rpm -ivh filename then you would to apt-get install filename? Please clear this up so i can tell you exactly why you're wrong ;-) (sorry - i love debian)