Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Partitioning with Partition Magic

FreeOn... I think you need to create free space first, using somethign like FIPS....

thats what I had to do whenever I installed linux on my computer, and I always did it on computers with Windows using all the HDD...
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

FreeOn: Do you just have one partition on your hard drive right now, or do you have more? Also, are you using Disk Druid or Fdisk? Fdisk can't resize partitions. I'm pretty sure Disk Druid can.

Matty Cross: Remember, this is Linux, not Windows. It doesn't have all the ridiculous crap added to it to try to keep the common user in awe. It doesn't require 50,000 processes to run like Windows XP does. I have mine set up as a server, and I only use about 30 meg of RAM at eny given time. Using 100 meg of swap space for Linux in my opinion is a waste of good hard drive space.

stflook: Most of what I know about Linux I've learn from installing it.. and the information I was giving freeOn was mainly from the instructions I've read on just about every mag. that included Linux...

These were aimed at the general user, yet they told the user to use the FIPS utility... so I never used Disk Druid to attempt to resize a partition...

I was just trying to be helpful... *cowers in fear*

Hehe, Windows does run a lot of crap... Anyone know why there are 5 instances of Outlook.exe in my task manager?
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.

FreeOn: Do you just have one partition on your hard drive right now, or do you have more? Also, are you using Disk Druid or Fdisk? Fdisk can't resize partitions. I'm pretty sure Disk Druid can.

Yes I only have Windows on my Computer. I'm using Disk Druid. And I have partition magic. So what should I do, god I wish I could take a screen shot of it.

Originally posted by Matty Cross
    stflook: Most of what I know about Linux I've learn from installing it.. and the information I was giving freeOn was mainly from the instructions I've read on just about every mag. that included Linux...

These were aimed at the general user, yet they told the user to use the FIPS utility... so I never used Disk Druid to attempt to resize a partition...

I was just trying to be helpful... *cowers in fear*

Hehe, Windows does run a lot of crap... Anyone know why there are 5 instances of Outlook.exe in my task manager?
    That's the exact same way I have obtained just about everything I know about Linux. I have a book on it, which recommends using 64 meg. It's really all a matter of personal preference, as long as you set aside enough. I have never used FIPS, only Disk Druid. I know there is a tool out there that allows you to resize partitions. Maybe it is FIPS. I'm far from a Linux expert, so I don't know. Obviously it's not Disk Druid, going by what FreeOn says.

Yes, I know why Outlook is doing that to you. It's a Microsoft product!

What should I do to the FAT32, should I delete it and then re-build it.

freeOn.. you shouldn't have to do that...
    You can resize your Fat32 partition.. if partition magic and disk druid won't do it, try FIPS.. I've included the entire FIPS directory off my linux cd with this post incase you wanna take a look at it... includes source..

Is there anything you would miss if you did rebuild your entire system? If not, hell go for that.. for my experience, it will be quicker than resizing your partition.. *you've gotta defragment your hard drive before resizing*
    -Matty_Cross

OK well that's what I've been told to do by some other people so I should give that a shot. Hopefully it works if it doesn't then well I guess I should just leave it alone.lol. Thanks for the help guys