Thread: advanced port settings

advanced port settings

I was looking at my modems advanced port setting and I noticed that by default it is set on "low" for the receive buffer and the transmit buffer. If I set these to high will it make much difference in my connection speed? Or is it best to just leave it be? Also what is the parity? This is also set by default as none. Thanx.
    [shadow]Prepare ship for ludicrous speed![/shadow]

Yeah it will give you a faster connection. lol, what type is it?
    Why don't you figure it out, if you get a faster connection then it's probably that. IF you don' t just let it me. Third Party usually refers to more then 2 people.

Originally posted by freeOn
    IF you don' t just let it me. Third Party usually refers to more then 2 people.
    He said P-A-R-I-T-Y, not party, or 3rd party, or house party.
    First off - setting the buffer higher could give you a very minor speed boost. If you were recieving data faster than your computer could pull it off the line, a large buffer would help you recieve data faster. But if your ISP is bitchy, you can get connection problems with a larger buffer (but not usually).

Parity is a error checking bit that is added and put on the end of a segment of data (either 7 or 8 bits).
    There is no parity, where no error checking bit is added.

There is even parity where the bit added must keep the amount of on bits even.
    1100 - the parity would be 0
    1101 - the parity would be 1

And there is odd parity where the bit added must keep the amount of on bits odd.
    1100 - the parity would be 1
    1101 - the parity would be 0

Odd parity is standard for synchronous transmission and even parity for asynchronous transmission.

If you set parity on a system that does not use parity, you will not get a connection. About the only time "I" ever used parity was on the good ole BBS.
    It was a big deal when phone lines were not as stable as they are now and the exrta data checking was almost a necessity.

computers today can process date faster than modems can supply it, so buffer setting arn't really important.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”