The jargon file[1] describes the script kiddie as "The lowest form of cracker; [one who does ] mischief with scripts and programs written by others, often without understanding the exploit they are using." While this in itself may be accurate, I do not like the present usage of this terminology.

You may be asking yourself why I would make such controversial claims in a forum that prides itself on developing skills and furthering knowledge in hopes of elevating one to hackerdom. My reasoning is that being a "script kiddie" is simply a phase in one's "education". One is not born with a deep understanding of programming and computer security, it takes patience, time and motivation to develop those skills.

Keeping this in mind, it's absolutely natural to use other people's code when you're just starting out. In fact, I'd recommend it. Use it. Understand it. Learn from it. Improve it. I think it's merely in a step in a long walk toward a distant goal. Ask any generally acknowledged "hacker" and most of them will readily admit to both cracking into systems and using other people's code. [2] They did this and later learned from it, progressing from their script kiddie stage. I see this as a natural progression, not something to be avoided or downplayed. Those who have progressed beyond this initial stage should guide the less advanced into higher levels of competence [3], not cry foul and dismiss their antics!

[1] - http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/ht...t-kiddies.html

[2] - I am here using the term "hacker" in the modern, computer security sense. Do not flame me for this simple fact, please.

[3] - The standard post would comment on making sure one includes a fair dose of "ethical" education as well.. I agree but don't think this is necessarily needed to become a hacker. Hackers come in all shades of grey.

Ideas? Comments?