Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cognitive dissonance in a knowledge driven cult.

PHP/PostgreSQL guy

Lightbulb Wow

That was a lot to read and while I have a good vocabulary, I learned new words! (I could feel the electrical arcs across the synapses). That's pretty informative and I'd have to say that if everyone were afraid of new experiences or radically changing issues, well, we'd all be living in a bland world. As it is, it's interesting to watch people "be afraid of trying something new and exciting for fear of failure" yet these same people can and will put themselves in the line of danger to save someone (think of the 11th). Success and failure could be determined as a mindset yet when your mind hits 'kernel panic' mode, simple things like failing aren't on the list of "things to think about at that moment in time".

Common people can do uncommon things, whether solo or in a group of friends or strangers...it's all about circumstance and what people think.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Re: Wow

I'm glad a lot of other people think that cognitive dissonance makes things interesting. I feel less like a nut. Or maybe I just feel less like a lonely nut.

Systems administration -- it's not just my job, it's how I buy video games.
    I have to say Vorlin, I laughed out loud when I read that. It's so true.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

There is a lot to be said for the saying; Ignorance is bliss.

Now where have I heard that one before? haha
    "Never give in-never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy!" - Winston Churchill

PHP/PostgreSQL guy

Talking Hehe!

Yeah Chsh, I got the sig off of my previous boss who had "Systems administration - it's not just my job, it's how I feed my cats".

In all honesty, when people ask me "How do you know so much?" *like I'm some kind of enlightened genius*, I always respond "I must play games!". Games and programming/troubleshooting are my life! It sucks away the available free time when I'm not working. Fortunately, I absolutely love my job and that's most important. No bland midlife crisis for me and who needs to buy a car when you're in your mid 30's thinking life sucks when you can go out and buy something like an AS/400 or an HP Superdome for your personal server? Wait....a car is much cheaper, rofl...
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

PHP/PostgreSQL guy

Talking Hehe!

Yeah Chsh, I got the sig off of my previous boss who had "Systems administration - it's not just my job, it's how I feed my cats".

In all honesty, when people ask me "How do you know so much?" *like I'm some kind of enlightened genius*, I always respond "I must play games!". Games and programming/troubleshooting are my life! It sucks away the available free time when I'm not working. Fortunately, I absolutely love my job and that's most important. No bland midlife crisis for me and who needs to buy a car when you're in your mid 30's thinking life sucks when you can go out and buy something like an AS/400 or an HP Superdome for your personal server? Wait....a car is much cheaper, rofl...

AntiOnline Senior Member
    Originally posted by Manish
    *yawn*
    I second, third, fourth the motion!