Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: What's the best firewall?

Mical

I will honest with you. I represent a competing product of PGP. We don't offer all the bells and whistles (E.g. firewall), but I am a little confused with your point. First of all, Personally when you deal with Security, my personal opinion is to go with products that focus on one type of expertise. This way all of their efforts are focused in one area. Most importantly, why would you suggest a product that is up for sale by the vendor and direction of the product is unknown? I wouldn't be calling you out if the software is free, but we all know it is fairly expensive.

If you are looking for a firewall. There are better ones out their that are free.

Originally posted by psi0nic
    OpenBSD running ipfilter AND a proxy level firewall of your choice.

P.S. OpenBSD has not had a remote exploit (base install with included packages) for over 4 years. Can any OS/firewall app beat that?
    I'm with you on that..

Ammo

i use za pro and have had blackice but got rid of it after it's refusal to address outbound packets as a threat.

za pro is a good f/w but no software f/w is as effective as a properly configured hardware f/w.

za is my third firewall, i had conseal, then blackice, now za pro and I have had no problems other than my son disabling it because he is too lazy to set it up when a new application trys to connect and za asks if it is ok.
    I\'d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.....

Cyanide cocktail anyone? (with a pineapple twist, of course..)

Hi ISC.

You are right, it's mostly best to go with products that focus on one type of expertice and I'm sorry if I offended you and other people with my earlier post.

Originally posted by ISC
    Mical

I will honest with you. I represent a competing product of PGP. We don't offer all the bells and whistles (E.g. firewall), but I am a little confused with your point. First of all, Personally when you deal with Security, my personal opinion is to go with products that focus on one type of expertise. This way all of their efforts are focused in one area. Most importantly, why would you suggest a product that is up for sale by the vendor and direction of the product is unknown? I wouldn't be calling you out if the software is free, but we all know it is fairly expensive.

If you are looking for a firewall. There are better ones out their that are free.
    In my opinion everyone should have the opurtunity to know of all competing products both free aswell as comercial products. In that way everybody can choose what suits them best.

I'm sorry that I mentioned aditional security products in a forum for firewalls. I can only tell that I'm satisfied with PGPfire as a personal firewall. I also have to say that I would not trust a personal firewall at 100%. But as a second way of defence I would recomend to have a personal firewall or another port-filtering software.

I have a linux box as gateway and firewall and on my internal computers personal firewalls. And that's what I would recomend for everyone who has a old box to use as a firewall and gateway.

But the opinions are many and it's nice to hear them here on AO :-).

Senior since the 3 dot era

Re: fw micael

I agree with the config Micael gives; It seems not to difficult to set up and pretty secure.

Originally posted by micael
    I'm currently using PGP Desktop 7.1 with VPN, firewall (IDS), disk and mail encryption. I'm quite satisfied, and the premier bonus is that it's a whole packet of security :-). It's aint free but so far it has been worth the price.

//micael
    You can actually get PGP for free at http://www.pgpi.org/ I didn't use the firewall, so I have no comments over it. I use ZoneAlarm, which is quite good, Tiny's good too, but if you're a beginner and won't like to mess with the rules, ZoneAlarm is better

You can actually get PGP for free at http://www.pgpi.org/
    Yes you can get it for free if you not are using it in a company. If you are using it in a company then you are obligated to buy the commercial version. You do also need to buy the commercial version if you want to have the latest version of PGP and PGPdisk.

But if you only are using PGP for mail then the latest version 7.03 is good enough. And all commercial versions are backward compatible with the older non-commercial versions (to 6.x I think).

I didn't use the firewall, so I have no comments over it.
    I like PGPfire since it can act both as ZoneAlarm with learning state enabled or more like a corporate firewall if you'll leave out the learning option.

This is nice when dealing with users who don't knnow their best. I guess that most of the people at AO who currently works with security knows a lot about users who just hit the button asap a popup occurs. Users don't like to be interupted, it's a sad fact.

I use ZoneAlarm, which is quite good, Tiny's good too, but if you're a beginner and won't like to mess with the rules, ZoneAlarm is better.
    Both of them are excelent choices and I have nothing against them. I just want to make a point that there are several other products out on the market and that a beginner aswell as a professional should test many of them and make up their own opinion and choose what fits them best.

For example at the company I work so should I prefer simple port blocking instead of using ZoneAlarm since ZoneAlarm is self learning and my users don't have the knowledge to make up decisions every time a popup occurs. And our support department aswell as I and the other technicians have better things to do then instruct our users every time ZoneAlarm asks what the user want to do :-).

I have to admit that I have never used ZoneAlarm Pro. Is it possible to disable the selflearning function in it?

//micael

I prefer Neowatch.

www.neoworx.com

Post IP Chains

There is a way of filtering hosts, read something about IPChains, It would be useful

I did a research a long time ago about personal firewalls. I found the old rewiew and updated it at some points.

What I did was look up the current version and the OS compability of the affected software which was missing from the old document.

The information in the doc is quite old (july-august 2000) but it can give you a hint about what problems to search for in the current version of the personal firewalls.

And if not then you have a stoneage documentation you can smile at when reading :-).

Personal firewalls reviewed in this doc:

Zone Alarm 2.1
    Conseal PC Firewall 2.06
    Sybergen Secure Desktop 2.1
    eSafe Desktop 2.2

I have plans to write a new test about personal firewalls since it's a never ending concept and they'll become more and more advance and easier to administrate.

But I guess that the test review will be finished as earliest in the beginning of the next year.