Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: What's the best firewall?

Anybody hear of Sygate Personal Firewall. Great product and free for personal use.

Senior since the 3 dot era

Re: Sygate

Originally posted by KorpDeath
    Anybody hear of Sygate Personal Firewall. Great product and free for personal use.
    Yep !
    I posted this already.
    Sygate has a good free personal firewall.

Noble Hamlet
    Most of you can barely use a firewall.

L-USER!

Originally posted by Noble Hamlet
    what? What type of firewall do you use?

It's not nice to rant about ppl you don't know.

Noble Hamlet

Re: L-USER!

Originally posted by KorpDeath

what? What type of firewall do you use?

It's not nice to rant about ppl you don't know.
    Oh be queit you insipid fool I speak as I will....

Re: Noble Hamlet

Originally posted by: Noble Hamlet

Oh be queit you insipid fool I speak as I will....
    Hmmm, I see you have no prior knowledge of any of these people posting, yet you reply implying they know nothing of a firewall. What nonesense is this!? I would like to ask what firewall you use. And if you do, what options have you selected to make the best use out of your desires. Maybe you'll gain more friends by doing that than talking extravigantly about how you have gained the highest social status in AntiOnline and can speak freely without any consent of others.

Why not post some usefull information Noble Hamlet, than just offend a fellow member of the same forum that you are posting in! It bothers me to know how ignorant people can be.

"Insipid fool"...Ha! A quick run through the thesarus eh? Ah, but what does it matter anyways. You post (few) good posts...I shouldn't be complaining...should I?
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

Noble Hamlet
    Insipid simply means boring, hardly a wordthat you must scramble to the thesaurus for now, Im not trying to impress you Web Carnage.

The social hierachy here is set in gold, there are the main guys, the fools, the in betweeners and the lurkers who are just waiting around to post..

Anyway I was just flaming your firewalls to test them.

Post Re: Noble Hamlet

Originally posted by: Noble Hamlet
    Insipid simply means boring, hardly a wordthat you must scramble to the thesaurus for now, Im not trying to impress you Web Carnage.
    Ok, so I was wrong...I appologize.

Anyway I was just flaming your firewalls to test them.
    Hmmm, here's from Firewall Guide :

" The only way to make your computer completely hacker proof is to turn it off or disconnect it from the Internet. The real issue is how to make your computer 99% hacker proof. An unprotected computer connected to the Internet via broadband (cable, DSL) is like leaving your car running with the doors unlocked and the keys in it which a thief might interpret as "please steal me". Locking a car, using a "club" or installing a security system makes stealing a car more difficult. A broadband Internet connection is easier to hack because it is "always-on" and often has a static IP address. This means that once a hacker or script kiddie finds your computer, it is easier to find it again. Most 56k dial-up Internet connections use a new IP address each time you connect which makes it much harder to find your computer again unless a trojan horse has invaded your system which can phone its home each time you connect.

Using personal firewall, anti-virus, anti-trojan and privacy software will protect your computer and data from most, if not all, script kiddies, commercial data collectors (spyware) and malware (virus, worm & Trojan horse). You need to install them correctly and keep them updated. If you are connecting two or more computers to the Internet, you should also use a hardware router with firewall features. These products provide adequate protection because most "attacks" are impersonal. That is, the attackers are not targeting you or your computer but are looking for any easy mark connected to the Internet. If you make it difficult for them to find and gain entry to your computer, they will most likely leave you alone.

If a real hacker decides to attack your computer, you can make it difficult for him/her but if he/she is good, they will likely find a way in. That is why large organizations have computer security staff and consultants working 24/7/365 to protect their computer networks. Unless a hacker has some reason to make a personal attack on your computer, you should not worry too much about a direct assault. Telecommuters are a special case because they are working at home but are also connected to their organization's network. If you are a telecommuter or thinking about becoming one, contact your computer security staff for advice. Note: Microsoft was reportedly hacked via a telecommuter's home computer.

Many people are shocked at how many incoming and/or outgoing security alerts they get after installing their first firewall (depending on its features) because they had no idea of what was going on around them. The good news is that if your personal firewall gives an alert, your computer is usually protected.

When selecting a personal firewall, you should consider whether you want one that controls outbound communication with the Internet. The advantage is that you are alerted the first time any program tries to call out and you are given the option of deciding whether to allow it one time, always or never. The disadvantage is that you may have no idea what the program trying to call out is or what it does.

To be effective, outbound control requires a user who has need or interest and skill or knowledge. For the last year or two, this was fine because "early adopters" by definition love new stuff. Many alerts do not say that [program name] is trying to call home; instead, they often give a file name like [xyzabc.doit]. Everyone (the rest of us) who uses the Internet knows, of course, what "xyzabc.doit" means (right?). So, outbound control is a great feature but it requires ongoing effort on your part to use it effectively. New releases of Norton, ZoneAlarm and other firewall products make it easier to set up outbound communication rules and understand what is going on.

What should you do when your firewall detects a virus, worm, Trojan horse, or spyware trying to call out without your permission? Use anti-virus, anti-trojan, and privacy software to detect, remove, repair and protect your system. Make sure that your security software is up-to-date. When you install new security software, check for updates immediately after installation before using it. "

Now Noble Hamlet...when did flaming on a BBS mean a potential 'hacker' is 'testing your firewall' ...?
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

Zone alarm with no doubt its the best