Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: On demand of Ennis

Senior since the 3 dot era

Yep

I thought we could reach the same 'altitude'.
    Watch out for little Brother

Making such distinctions as "Hacker vs. Cracker" is irelevent. What we all deal with is security. The general puplic in most cases has no idea what is capable with the internet, computers, Technology, etc.... So the only way the puplic will learn is if they are shown. If you call someone and say that their computer security is lax and they do nothing about it then they may need to be shown.
    If this takes breaking into teir sercurity then so be it. Thats how I got into sercurity. I once thought that I was safe behind a simple firewall and norton antivirus. It took some "script kiddie" to show me that I was wrong. When I started learning I realized almost any information could be found with a little curiosity and some general knowlage.
    The analogy that it is the same as breaking into someones physical house is rediculous. We no longer live in a world that is governed by what is physical. Would any of us be able to live the lives we do without the technologies we use? I think not. Perfect intentions do not change ones actions from cracking to hacking. I will always see the two terms as the same thing.

Now I will probably get good and flamed for this opinion but thats the way I see it. Sure one could site people who break serurity for personal gain but that is the individual not a counter-culture to the sub-culture of "Hackers"
    Those who are awake all live in the same world.
    Those who are asleep live in their own worlds. -Heraclitus

All Your Base!

Arrow tekfrost

When we no longer make the distinction between a hacker (white hat) and a cracker (black hat), who else would do?

Banned
    There will always be someone willing to hold on to the traditional culture of hacking so fear not there is always the few keeping the 'dream' alive whether it be hacking or greenpeace as you so aptly put it.

Re: Ennis

And here we are back to the start...

You are thinking that I'am an idealist?
    well, I'am.

The ethical thing, remember

The disniction sould be made between people, not lumping people into sterotypes. Anybody who would lable themselves as a hacker has done some cracking in the past so wouldn't they also be a cracker. Otherwise how could they gain those skills and knowlage. If they are not breaking in for personal gain then that is the hackers choice not because he is part of a fundmentaly different group.

By the same token, anyone who would call themselves a cracker would still fit the deffintion of a hacker at least part of time. They would still aid security by defualt. The person would still be "seeking knowlage".

These groups and sterotypes are reversable at almost anygiven point in time. To differentiate between them just doesn't do any good. They are the same thing.
    Those who are awake all live in the same world.
    Those who are asleep live in their own worlds. -Heraclitus

All Your Base!

I disagree tekfrost

They are *not* the same thing

In practice some people jump from 1 role to another but in theory there is a difference: how could't you else discuss differences when 2 things are the same?

Banned
    They say the greatest debates [by they I mean me] are those that have no end, this is why I love this topic. Nobody ever fully agree's and human nature is quaintly exposed.

Viva la muerte!

Re: Ennis

Indeed, this could go on...and sure it does

Why lowering yourself tekfrost?
    "Self-respect is the most important of the primary goods"
    (see J. Rawls, a Theory of Justice, p.440)

Originally posted by tekfrost
    The analogy that it is the same as breaking into someones physical house is rediculous. We no longer live in a world that is governed by what is physical. Would any of us be able to live the lives we do without the technologies we use? I think not. Perfect intentions do not change ones actions from cracking to hacking. I will always see the two terms as the same thing.
    This isnt a ridiculous analogy to me, and when someone trys to illegally access my computer, I get pissed. I might calm down later if they send me something telling me that they are trying to help, but until then I would be pissed. Also from what I read Lamo wasnt just checking the door to the house(computer), he was walking into the house, and going through their stuff(data). It even states in the article that at some places he could have changed payroll records to work in his favor. If he is just checking the door, why is it that he has access to payroll? Like I said before I am not against him, but I can understand why he might run across someone who doesnt take this sort of thing lightly.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19