Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TCP/IP Books [And A Network Hub]

TCP/IP Books [And A Network Hub]

I have two questions for experienced network administrators and people who install networks etc... I'm trying to put together a working home network (which I've more or less succeeded in doing) but now I want to know how it works... in detail.

To this end:

[1] Can anyone recommend any books on TCP/IP??

and

[2] If 2 computers have 100MB/S net cards, and one has a 10MB/S net card, if they are connected to one single hub, will the whole network be limited to 10MB/S or will only the data going down that one cable be 10MB/S and everywhere else 100MB/S (i.e. 100->100 will work @ 100 but 100->10 only at 10, or will the whole thing have to operate at 10MB/S)

The 100MB/S net cards are capable of 10MB/S operation since they do that when connected with crossover cable to the 10MB/S card!
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)
    http://www.bytekill.net

You're LAN connection will be 10mb/s, but outside of that it will be limited to whatever your connection is. I'll send you some books via email if I can find your email addy.
    Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far. - Theodore Roosevelt

Hi mom!
    I can recommend "TCP/IP Primer Plus" ISBN 0-672-32208-0, Sams Publishing 2002.

And for two, buy a 100mbit card for that last computer, and don't worry about it. Those things cost next to nothing nowadays.

my e-mail address is chronatonburst@hotmail.com

and its not the cost of a 100MB/S card thats the problem... its space inside the computer

The 10MB/S is onboard and all the available PCI slots are taken up by other stuff (sound & graphics cards!)
    (The Lord Of The Rings)

here is a good one,

TCP/IP illustrated (The Protocols)Volume 1

W. Richards Stevens.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...900853-8696626

Also check out "Inside TCP/IP Third Edition" It's a thick hardback, but it's got specifics about packet construction as well as information about different protocols that use TCP/IP.

ISBN 1-56205-714-6

You may want to check to see if it is up to a higher edition. I bought mine a year or so ago.

Happy Hacking
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Warfare is the Way of deception.
    -Sun Tzu \"The Art of War\"

another good book is:

tcp/ip volume1 from douglas e. comer
    isbn 0-13-019353-4

Hi Rewandythal!

Here are some good tcp/ip books which you might want to check out from O'reilly:

1)TCP/IP Network Administration, 2nd Edition(By Craig Hunt)
    2) Internet Core Protocols: The Definitive Guide
    Help for Network Administrators (By Eric Hall)

Aside from these books. Here is a link that contains a long list of books on TCP/IP, networking....etc. : www.computerhelp.net/bookcat/tcp_ip.html

Have a nice day!

"I expect to pass through this life but once. Therefore, if there be any kindess I can show, or any good thing I can do for another human being, let me do it now, for I shall not pass this way again."...William Penn

hi there rewan...

hi there,
    i see everyone has recommened a lot of books..and one of the replies did mention TCP/IP illustrated volume by Richard Steven..
    i am as much a book enthusiast as i am a networking enthusiast..
    i only want to reiterate that the above mentioned book is a must read and once when you are through with that volume 2 and 3 will also be good , especially if you are into network programming..

the book will give you a packet by packet description of everything that goes on inside a network..so do buy TCP/IP illustrated volume 1 by richard stevens..

with regards
    scorpion

Thanks! I will go and buy that book as soon as I can afford it!
    (The Lord Of The Rings)