Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting things you learn about computers from the movies

Interesting things you learn about computers from the movies

Interesting things that you learn about computers in movies:

# Word processors never display a cursor.

# You never have to use the spacebar when typing long sentences.

# All monitors display 2 inch high letters.

# High-tech computers, such as those used by NASA, the CIA, or some such governmental institution, have easy-to-understand graphical interfaces.

#Those that don't will have incredibly powerful text-based command shells that can correctly understand and execute commands typed in plain English.

# Corollary: You can gain access to any information you want by simply typing "ACCESS ALL OF THE SECRET FILES" on any keyboard.

# Likewise, you can infect a computer with a destructive virus by simply typing "UPLOAD VIRUS."

# Powerful computers beep whenever you press a key or whenever the screen changes. Some computers also slow down the output on the screen so that it doesn't go faster than you can read. The *really* advanced ones also emulate the sound of a dot-matrix printer as the characters come across the screen.

# People typing away on a computer will turn it off without saving the data.

# A hacker can get into the most sensitive computer in the world before intermission and guess the secret password in two tries.

# If you display a file on the screen and someone deletes the file, it also disappears from the screen.

# Whenever a character looks at a VDU, the image is so bright that it projects itself onto his/her face.
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

lol and don't forget, laptops without any wireless nor network interface that are somehow connected to a bank and such things.

For some pretty decent technical accuracy, check out AntiTrust. The movie's pretty cool and the tech scenes all use linux (gnome in the gui scenes).

One thing that always gets to me is that the amazing big-budget hollywood productions ALWAYS have amazing special effects, but COMPLETELY inaccurate computer-related stuff. I mean, it must cost a lot more to set up a computer with a stupid special little screen that reads:
    UPLOADING VIRUS....
    DESTROYING FILES.....
    DESTRUCTION OF FREE WORLD COMPLETE.

than it would if it was an established, existing OS screen...

What surprises me is that hollywood hasn't caught on that more and more people are becoming computer literate. It's a job skill that many, if not all, can't go without.

Very hilarious list though.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

Talking

This is the funniest stuff I have seen in a while! Very good.
    [shadow]Prepare ship for ludicrous speed![/shadow]

Hey Matty!

Nice post! It's like giving me a dose of your happy pills.... lol

Have a nice day!

"I expect to pass through this life but once. Therefore, if there be any kindess I can show, or any good thing I can do for another human being, let me do it now, for I shall not pass this way again."...William Penn

Cool

Excellent! My personal fave is the way ANYone can trash an Apache with a 386...O.k., so how did that guy on Swordfish (altogether not tooo bad) mnage to code while only using the center row? I neeeeeeeeed that kb...User-friendly to the gills....Thanks fo the dose of humor..

imperialjustice: An even better question would be how the hell did he program with cubes..... who programs with cubes?!?!?
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

Cool

<Matty Cross> Ummm...Hold on....Johnny Mnemonic,Sort of. Totally not the same thing, i know. But hey, it's about as close as memory serves."64 Billion people with the same area code?"hehheh.
    [glowpurple]Outside of a dog, a book is man\'s best friend...[/glowpurple] [gloworange]inside of a dog, it\'s too dark to read...- [/gloworange] [shadow]Groucho Marx[/shadow]

Heres one.

How bout the Matrix. "After a while you don't even see the code. I Just see Blonde, Red Head ect.."
    You can just stare at scrolling code on a screen and see an entire three dimentional scene.

Haha, good post matty cross.
    Those who are awake all live in the same world.
    Those who are asleep live in their own worlds. -Heraclitus

All Your Base!

Talking

nice list, bro. any objection of me printing this stuff for some fun? btw thankx for tha laffs