Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting things you learn about computers from the movies

dedklown.. print away... I didn't make the list.. just got sent it in my email.....
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

Notice also that a lot of the time on television lately, the MacOS is number ONE. There is no sign of windows or linux anywhere. Also they do a lot of hacking using nothing more than a web browser. Also somehow they have access to full screen full motion video as downloaded to the internet. They can hack into systems in usually under a minute. They can write virii in seconds and easily get it onto any system without any compatibility problems(try using a windows virus on linux). If youve seen ID4 you see the humor. Also dont watch the insanely stupid Swordfish. In this stupid movie they think that the best cracker in the world can magically hack into the most secure place in the world in under a minute, and not only that at the same time get a *******. It is truly moronic. If he was truly elite, he wouldnt have ended up in jail in the first place. Also patience is another virtue of the real cracker and he wouldnt have been able to do it without checking it out first. Only a moron robs a bank before casing the place.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

Originally posted by tekfrost
    Heres one.

How bout the Matrix. "After a while you don't even see the code. I Just see Blonde, Red Head ect.."
    You can just stare at scrolling code on a screen and see an entire three dimentional scene.

Haha, good post matty cross.
    Ok, I'm not picking on you, BUT. . .

Conceptual Art

Conceptual Art is an art form in which on does not have to execute any actual building, drawing, painting, or anything else that people typically consider "Art".

There was a movement inside conceptual art where people fooled with mathematic equations to design sculptures that could not be built physically, because of the dimensional restrictions of the world.

So, it just might be possible, that if the code was written well enough ( and considering that it was able to run an entire reality, one would hope that it was) and that the reader could understand the code completely and totally.
    Then it would be possible to "just see blondes." I mean if a mathematical equation can capture 4 dimensions in such a way that it can be judged as art, then seeing blondes is a piece of cake.

The problem is having the undestanding of the code to get such visual images from it. But, then I read something about a "HumanML", a Human Markup Language based on XML. http://www.humanmarkup.org

But, sorry for the tangent.

THe protrayal of computers in movies and tv. . . a constant source of amusement.

What was it Jurassic Park (one of the however many):
    girl: "THis is Unix, I know this."

about a computer that had a gui, and no signs of being Unix based. Looked like MovieOS to me, complete with FutureGUI8000.

I want the mainframe from "Hackers" all those blinking lights, oooohh.

dhej

Don't forget that most of those programs aren't even programs but POWERPOINT Projects. If you notice that there only slides and by anytouch or time they can get set off to display another message.

funny thread, Also I actually saw a Linux operating system in the movie Anti-trust Just to let you know...lol.

Cool

haha atleast in the movie "swordfish" they did use the term "Cracker" than "hacker" hehe that would clear hackers a bit.. hehe

hmm and cracking into a security mainframe in a minute.. hehe damn he must have a really fast computer and damn quick fingers to type those commands and waiting for them to load up.. and not to mention fast internet connection...

haha it even took me 10 mins to crack into a Windows NT server and it was just over a LAN.. so i dun see any logical reasons how this guy can do this accross the globe.. using the internet and in just 1 minute.. but its juz all movies anyway..

hehe not to mention those 3D graphic computers that the used in the movie "Hackers" wid dem HUGE mainframe keyboards that has nothing written on them but "the plague" seems to know what to press.. hahah

And what about the movie Hackers.
    With all those screensshots like if they lived in a fantasy world or some kind of freak city.
    \"The best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your own arm...

Lightbulb Tesseract

Originally posted by Dhej
    There was a movement inside conceptual art where people fooled with mathematic equations to design sculptures that could not be built physically, because of the dimensional restrictions of the world.
    I know exactly what you are talking about. The Tesseract, the representation of a cube with dimensions that exceed 3d, unfolded. One can picture what a 3d cube looks like if you were to unfold it (like a box with the edges cut and laid out flat on the floor, kind of looks like a lower case t). The Tesseract replaces those 2d squares of the unfolded box with 3d cubes + two more cubes lying perpendicular to the cross of the t. If the 3d world that we live in and our 3d minds could handle it, the Tesseract could be folded back up into what would be a form that exceeds 3 spatial dimensions (referred to as the Hypercube). (Thus creating paradoxes that would crumble physical reality). Ok, i'm just guessing on the paradox thing, but still...
    There is a painting that i saw somewhere that depicts Christ crucified on a Tesseract...can't remember where i saw it though...

Anyways...just thought i'd throw out that bit of brain food...

Ouroboros
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor

War Games was the best...Get a computer to play Tic-Tac-Toe against itself and then get bored with it because nobody ever wins at Tic-Tac-Toe....Here's some trivia...can anyone remember what the computers name in War Games was? And why was the computer named that?

"Greetings Professor Falcon, Shall we play a game?"

Arrow wargames

the comp's name was WOPR (whopper) in the movie (War Operations...something), but the System's name was Joshua, Joshua being Prof. Falcon's dead son.

Just watched that movie the other day

Ouroboros
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor

nice post man....its da truthness dat makes it soo funny. i just saw swordfish a few weeks ago (yea i noe its a lil late) and i thot it wuz funny how a guy kud hack into da cia under a min. not only dat but he decrypted a so called "512 bit encryption" in around a min too. man...i get frustrated wen i forget mah password for mah file encrypter and diz guy is crackin into things like nutz.
    Life is just a series of decisions, each one can alter your future and you can possibly end your life at any moment. Do you really want to be under the care of the Microsoft Support Center?!?!