Thread: Opera 6.0

Post Opera 6.0

Just wondering if any one has experienced any problems with Opera's latest offering?

The regulars would know that I'm a huge fan of Opera's browsers but with the release of 6.0 I'm starting to become a little skeptical. It seems to crash alot more than 5.12, especially when Java is concerned.

Another problem I've noticed is that it doesn't load all the images on a page even when you have it set to "show all images"...This doesn't happen all the time but it's happening enough to become very annoying...

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear other peoples reviews of the new browser...

Well, most of the image problems seem to be on the server-side, at least the ones I remember. The image size was shown as -1 bytes... I'm not sure. Try going directly to the image url, or using a different browser to check and see.

As for the crashes, dunno. I usually keep Java off since I don't use it much.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

don't forget, it's still in beta.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I was going to download 6, but I will hold out for the final release. I had 5 for Linux and I wasnt impressed so I continue to use Konqueror, which I am extremely pleased with. I do love Opera 5 for my Windows OS. Peace.
    [shadow]Prepare ship for ludicrous speed![/shadow]

Thumbs up

yeah well.. i just finished d/l opera yesterday and im trying it out at the moment.. so far i havent experienced any problems..

im still with 5.12, its alright i don't think i will upgrade till the next stable version comes out cos 6 is beta right??? Oh well its a great browser for windows and is the best for linux in my opinion.
    \" If U Can Think It It Can be Done \"

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    For Windows, I had 5.12 fully licensed (I bought a copy) and it ran pretty much w/o a hitch, the only exception being if you have to authenticate through a proxy (like work), it always asked me for my password/etc yet IE won't because it's a MS proxy (go figure).

For Linux, easily the best browser I've used once I got the libraries sorted out. I'd rather they use a configure script so it's environment independent instead of just saying "Click here for a statically linked glibc 2.0 version" or something like that. One can hope.

As for 6.0, the windows release is pretty good. I've had the image problem a few times but I found that it disappeared when I cleared my cache and reloaded. I also don't like how mouse-gestures don't work until you have a window open (you can't do right-click+down to open a window anymore) but it's still in beta so it'll only get better!
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    For Windows, I had 5.12 fully licensed (I bought a copy) and it ran pretty much w/o a hitch, the only exception being if you have to authenticate through a proxy (like work), it always asked me for my password/etc yet IE won't because it's a MS proxy (go figure).

For Linux, easily the best browser I've used once I got the libraries sorted out. I'd rather they use a configure script so it's environment independent instead of just saying "Click here for a statically linked glibc 2.0 version" or something like that. One can hope.

As for 6.0, the windows release is pretty good. I've had the image problem a few times but I found that it disappeared when I cleared my cache and reloaded. I also don't like how mouse-gestures don't work until you have a window open (you can't do right-click+down to open a window anymore) but it's still in beta so it'll only get better!

Oh yeah, I'd rather use Opera with it's tiny bugs/problems rather than use IE which will cascade-fault my machine.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Senior since the 3 dot era

Opera 6

I was using Opera 5, but recently upgraded to Opera 6.

I'am using the free version now and I find it pretty cool:
    it performs fast... (especially with java disabled) and it has some nice features.

but sometimes it crashes... my 5.x never crashed
    It still is the best browser you can choose for a windows box (I think opera let the M$ people get to almost touch the *nix feeling)

Originally posted by Terr
    Well, most of the image problems seem to be on the server-side, at least the ones I remember. Try going directly to the image url, or using a different browser to check and see.

Unfortunately I have tried this and it appears that it's the browsers fault. Not to worry. I was unaware that Opera 6.0 was a beta release....

I suggest that Opera users stick with 5.12 (which is the worlds greatest browser) untill the bugs are fixed in 6.0...

Thanks for your replies.......