Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where is the password file in Windows all versions

Yeah how did you guess. but its not that it's the boot up I did a regit hack and now I can't log back on and I took the cancel option off. So I was going to write a program that fetches the passwords and writes them to the cd. So i might unlock it. It's my little laptop.

Senior since the 3 dot era
    I'am not sure of what your mean, but when it's just the user login password from Win98 that keeps you out. No prob: get a boot disk with an OS that can read FAT32 partitions (like latest DOS versions or 'the would be DOS' from Win98) start it up. When it leaves you a dos prompt: good.

When it tries to get win98 started press F8 immediatly, (before the graphical Win logo). A menu appears: choose start DOS only in the menu.

Go to your windows directory, locate the pwl file from your account and delete the account info. To do that just delete the pwl file -> when you restart without floppy you will get a password msg from Win98 asking you to give a new password (if you delete all user pwl's all the passw's become blank) -> you're in.

--> When you don't have a boot disk, you could also create a new account by logon let's say test with blank passw. Now you can delete the pwl file from your old account from the windows explorer. Do a proper restart and log in with your old account the passw should be blank

Cool

btw... there's some other interesting files in windows 2000 that i think you should check aside from the SAM file.. coz there's also a file called "User" and i think there's also a "Security" but i dun remember their extensions, but they are both found in the repair folder where u can find the SAM file...

Yep

Indeed in Win2K you have in the REPAIR dir a SAM and other user stuff,
    in the SECURITY dir you can find the logs

Exclamation Where are the IP adresses kept in window>?

In my version of windows all of the passwords are kept in various Dll files. But my question is windows has to keep all the ip adresses that contacts it someware I want to know where that is and no I dont want them for hacking pourposes i just want to know.

Windows does not keep track of all the IP's you connect with

To my knowledge, windows and IE keeps your dial up passwords and site passwords (for areas requesting authentication) in c:\windows\username.pwl . The file is a list of the passwords, and it is encrypted with your windows login password as the key.

The screensaver password is in the registry, find more at this thread.

As for the IP addresses that contact you... Windows (AFAIK) does not keep a log of ones that contacted you in the past, but the netstat utilities DOES show any CURRENTLY 'on' connections. Just go to a dos box and type in 'netstat /?' for help. For instance, 'netstat -an' will show all connections and listening ports, as well as the numeric IP they may be connected to. (It does not show what program is running on which ports, though, you need third-party stuff for that.)
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

larryjs
    Originally posted by VictorKaum
    Windows does not keep track of all the IP's you connect with
    It doesn't store passwords in .dll files either