Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where is the password file in Windows all versions

Where is the password file in Windows all versions

Hey I'm curious to find out where windows keeps all my passwords. Stflook helped me take off the auto thing that goes on the url box yesterday for internet explorer. There was also in option to remeber my passwords, where the hell does IE put those and where does my screensaver password, my logon password and all that other good stuff get kept. I'm running 98 but am wondering if it's kept in the same place as the rest of the versions of windows. Just to let all you newbies know I'm not a hotmail hacker or whatever. Just a computer enthusiasts lol. I do realize that this might be a hacking question but it's for my sole purpose only and I do not wish harm on others and I don't really care what others do with there computers. I'm not a noisey snoop.

Let me know thanks.

Senior since the 3 dot era
    For windows 9x the user password is located in the windows directory and called the same as your useraccount with the extension pwl

example: c:\windows\yourname.pwl

For Win NT4 the user pass is locked by the system so you couldn't get that file to edit. You need the file in the Repair directory of NT. You can find this file also on an Emergency Repair Disk (ESD) if there was made one.
    the password file has the file extension SAM

The passwords for browsers could be stored in cookies or in the user directory.

is there away to look inside a cookie. That would be cool. What about Microsoft's ultras hidden secret files, could I get stuff from there. Anyway what about the other versions. XP, ME, 2000. Or does what you said apply to all NT machines.

Cookies are just text files, double click them to view them.
    What are these ultra hidden secret files?

patience: I just checked it out on my Win2K box (a floor lower in the house) to be sure that what I say is correct.

NT4 and Win2K keep both a copy of their SAM in the repair directory. Win2K is a sort of NT5

Win2000 Example:

c:\winnt\repair\
    there is a file called SAM

other usefull stuff is located in c:\winnt\security\database\

Where is the screensaver pwl keept at.

Hey VictorKaum -- did you like it so much you bought the company?
    Oh wait, that was Victor Kiam^H^H^H^H

petemcevoy

I don't get your post? Explain it to me?

Where is the screen saver password kept. That the last I need to know.

Why

Do you have some pc in front of you with an active screensaver lock?