Thread: NFO Files

Question NFO Files

Sometimes when i open a downloaded zip file there is a Read Me text included, which sometimes includes the programmers name, where you can get an update, and the date it was created etc...

I've written some small programs but instead of including a Read Me text written in Notepad or simple text I would like to include an NFO file. I like the way they look but they seem to be linked to pirated software most of the time.... that's not the impression i want to give...cause i made them myself....but i still like the look of NFO files as they look like art...

my question is...how do you make an NFO file?
    I've looked through the forums and it seems that this topic hasn't been discusses here before...
    and i've searched google etc and i can't seem to find a good site with examples or instructions...only sites that explain what an NFO file is.....

Please help if you can
    thanks

Cool

you can make an nfo file in any text editor, (if using a windows box, i suggest notepad....) when you save just add the extension .nfo to your file name (in a window box you have to change the file type to 'all files') hope that helps.... to macke the text art in it, you have to learn to do that yourself. there is no special program that i know of that does that. but if there is, i never used it, i've always done it on my own

Arrow thanks Lord_Darkside_X

hmmm...i know about changing the extension to .nfo....
    do i need an ascii text converter to make the characters for the actual art though?
    i'm determined to make nfo files....their beautiful if done correctly

No, you just need a text editor and a sense of where to put each character in order to achieve the desired art work.

You're right, the artwork in NFO files can be most intriguing!!

By the way, on a Windows system, an NFO file will, by default, open in the System Information program, and not a text editor.
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)
    http://www.bytekill.net

There are programs which 'supposedly' can convert simple pictures to ASCII art.. I've never used em though, but here's a nice juicy link for you anyway...

http://dmoz.org/Arts/Visual_Arts/ASCII_Art/Software/
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

And your're gonna need a text editor that uses the old ms-dos font with all the nice characters. What happened to Norton's old Sidekick?
    ---
    proactive

Talking

Matty Cross........That link is more than enough to get me started

mmm....ascii art!! i can't wait!

ASCII art = fun

You can put ur NFO txt in tcl and run it under perl... just create a script to check for the platform and dependencies....on windows systems it'll run using WSH....there's a ton of cool stuff u can do tweaking it this way. This also gives you the advantage of knowing how it'll show up...other wise it can get tweaked from system to system....at least that's been my experience.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-==-=
    Noah built the ark BEFORE it rained.

http://ld.net/?rn
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-==-=

PHP/PostgreSQL guy

Talking hehehe

Let's all go play Text Quake...over T1's....only then can you get the immense "matrix-like" effect, hehe...
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.