Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: IE vs. Netscape

in my experience, it depends on what Operating System you are using. If I am using Windows I prefer to use Internet Explorer which is compatible for the said software. However, If I use my supercomputer (which is my linux box)[LOL], I prefer to use the netscape browser or the mozilla.
    \"The more you ignore me... the closer i get!\"

heh.. well... i just got Opera and am using it as i type this. i must admit that i like better than both IE and Netscape.

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Personally, I can't stand how IE has to be integrated to the nth degree, so much so that if something goes wrong with IE, explorer.exe (would you call that a kernel?) cascade faults into pick-random-error here.
    That's unacceptable just due to the fact that they've never cleaned it up.

Netscape 6.x looks fairly ok, but now that AOL had bought it out a few years back, no way...I have enough of a hard time dealing with the fact that Windows WILL install "Online Services" no matter what you pick, and I will not have AOL-anything on my machine! I've heard either great stories or horrendous laments on 6.x's speed/etc but I myself am avoiding it.

Opera - now THIS is my choice. Loved the fact that I can have MDIs in an SDI (and with 6.0 you can choose to have it like that or separate windows). There's only two problems with it that I can see as being a bit of a hinderance. 1: a slow site to connect to slows down all site speed connections until it connects or times out and 2: plugin compatibility (while not THAT important). Both will be worked on, of that I have no doubt, and I find it a great substitute for both Internut Exploiter and Nutscrape. Oh yeah, I bought the licensed version to support it too. Here are some more nifty things that Opera has too:

1: mouse gestures! (when you get used to this, nothing else even comes close!)
    2: integrated mail! (so it's not that great with certificates yet but who cares?)
    3: easy to manipulate .ini files! (everything's a flat file in your opera directory...what could be easier?)
    4: crashes WAY less and uses less memory! (actually I've never had it crash on me, ever...)
    5: makes coffee! (well, almost, the plugin doesn't quite work yet, hehe)

All around, I suggest Opera all the way. It took me some time to get used to but now I can't use anything else. Check it out here .
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Red face

i think that IE is much faster than Netspace and it works much faster and it has a nice newsgroup browser so i use both but generally i use IE, I havent tried Opera yet so i have no opinion on that
    -[h3llbringer] is back, again.
    -MSN CLoNE.

AntiOnline Senior Member
    I like IE on windows xp and 98, but netscape is nice on linux.