Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Linux is not more stable!!!!

my linux box never ever crashed.... so i don't know why you have a problem (used to use mandrake now using redhat) my windows box used to crash all the time.... but, upgraded to xp and it haas been more than a month with out rebooting and *no* crashes. a nice improvement

Gee..... I run Mandrake 8.1 on my main system, and I've never seen anything link that. Perhaps, before you go claiming it's the OS, you should post what hardware you installed it on, as well as what programs in particular you had running (besides the ones that crashed).

Happy Hacking
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Warfare is the Way of deception.
    -Sun Tzu \"The Art of War\"

Banned

Originally posted by gaxprels
    Gee..... I run Mandrake 8.1 on my main system, and I've never seen anything link that. Perhaps, before you go claiming it's the OS, you should post what hardware you installed it on, as well as what programs in particular you had running (besides the ones that crashed).

Happy Hacking
    The machine I use is an intel celeron 533 mhz with 288mb RAM. My hard drive is about 8 gig and the only other accesories I have is a cd burner and a network card. The only programs that I was running during the crashes were Konquerer web browser, and kde media player. I am beginning to think the problem might not be the OS, and might be the power supply.

Check your powersupply's fan. If the fan isn't running the supply is definitely bad. If it is running, it could still be bad, but it's harder to check without special hardware/software. Also, did you upgrade anything, recently? If you did (and it was RAM) that could be your problem.

Happy Hacking
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Warfare is the Way of deception.
    -Sun Tzu \"The Art of War\"

PHP/PostgreSQL guy

Re: Slow: sometimes ; stable: yes

Originally posted by VictorKaum
    I'am impressed.

My Linux box never crashed (some prog's may have caused some trouble, but I never had to reboot the thing for it). I can _not_ present some stats cause I don't let the thing use power for nothing. I'am *green* you see. I switch it of from time to time. Don't shoot me for that.

I believe linux is stable (even on a slow box), at least more then Windowz.
    Nothing's wrong with that theory but *NIX is made for uptime. That's why we win the uptime wars against NT and such. What sucked for me was working at a place where the NT admins assigned the reboots (before we got there) and was rebooting the unix boxes, all of them, even the single DNS server (with no secondary, meaning network DNS resolving and booting was down because it was also the bootp server), every week. Why? Because NT has to be rebooted all the freaking time. You'll learn soon enough that you won't have to have it off at all. Last I heard, the longest uptime for a linux box (not unix) was 7 years or something. Yes, it is stable, yes it can go for days and days and days...

But if you want some configuration tips to ensure its performance is the best you can get, feel free to ask.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Senior since the 3 dot era

Smile

Under NT people there is always some applause when some1 says he / she didn't had to reboot in 90 days

Linux and Unix ppl speak in years.

Re: Linux is not more stable!!!!

Originally posted by audioluv
    I recently installed mandrake 8.1 and the install went over without a hitch. But now I begin to notice problems similar to windows. First Konquerer would crash on me for no apparent reason. Second I crashed the OS twice in one day, just by trying to fix the system clock. Finally after the computer was on for three days straight, the modem just stopped working.

The big diifference between Linux and Windows is the price. Linux is free! You can't argue with that...

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Originally posted by VictorKaum
    Under NT people there is always some applause when some1 says he / she didn't had to reboot in 90 days

Linux and Unix ppl speak in years.

This is so true...being the only unix admin on the hall with 9 NT admins, I'm always having to laugh at someone for what they call 'stability'. Also, me and my boss (senior unix admin) handled 45 servers ourselves, and yet the NT people need 9 for 60? Haha, they'll never catch up...

And yes, I blatantly make fun of NT admins as they always try to push the "Microsoft rules the environment".
    And free is good! And Open Source is better! Woo!
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Cool

ok a little hint boys and girls... long story short

as long as you meet or better yet exceed the hardware requirements of the O/S.. you are less likely to come accross crashing it..

if i install win2k on a puter wid 64MB RAM.. heck surely it will crash coz the minimum requirement of it is 128MB RAM...

but since i added 128MB more which would give me a total of 128 + 64 = 192MB RAM.. it has never crashed since..

I was running Windows 2000 Pro for a long time, and it was crapping out on me daily, up to 3 or 4 times a day. I finally got sick of it the other day and removed it, and did a clean install of Windows 2000 Server. It doesn't crap out as much, but still dies on me too much for me to be satisfied with it.

I also run a web server on an old 166 running Red Hat 7, and I can count on a single hand the number of times it has failed me. Every time but one, I was seeing if I could make it crash. It wasn't easy. The other time, my cat had been laying on the keyboard for about an hour. I have yet to see a Linux box die without ridiculous amounts of abuse.

As soon as I get good enough with Linux (not too much longer), I'm going to resize the partitions on my hard drive, and begin to switch over to SuSE on this machine. I can deal with the fact that it's not widely-used, and that it's hard to find software for it. If it's more stable than Windows, it makes it all worth it.