Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Opera 6.0

Originally posted by Vorlin

Oh, Conf1rm3d_K1ll, if you install the new java 1.4 beta for winblows, you won't have problems. I haven't had a crash yet with it and java's still on!

Thanks for the tip but I took Terr's advice and just disabled java. No great loss...Also, the problem I had with Opera crashing was related to "proxomitron" rather than Opera itself (not to mention running ME)

Originally posted by Vorlin
    Overall, Opera's MUCH better than IE anything, regardless of what IE "has over" it. I'll take w3c standards any day of the week over proprietary shite...

Very well said. I think Opera have got it together and truly do develop "the fastest browser on earth"....

maybe you're using iexplorer much that you didn't apperciate the buty of opera 6.0.
    \"The more you ignore me... the closer i get!\"

Originally posted by protocool
    maybe you're using iexplorer much that you didn't apperciate the buty of opera 6.0.

You'll have to forgive my ignorance but I don't understand a single word of what you typed. Is this even aimed at me?

(i'm using opera 6.0 right now!)

i like opera becauser it:
    doesn't take up 2953609235% of my r.a.m.
    loads quickly
    i like the hotlist feature (loads faster than i.e.'s favorites bar)
    its small and i don't have to wait 23509 hours everytime a new i.e. version comes out
    doesn't support activex
    you can turn off images

Thumbs up broken pages...

Well, this is what I can say about opera:

I've used it since ver 2.xx beta.

I LOVED MDI (and I still do!). Speed, and especially reliability in the ver 6.0 is amazing.

I run Dell Precision 420 with 256 MB of RDRAM, with P3 600, and it is just EXCELLENT!

Now, for those *broken* pages: for example go to www.nfl.com

You cant see the menu on the left and over the top of the page (just below the banner. You know why? Because in the style sheet (CSS file it loads) VALUES for the colors are writen like this: background: 3355EE
    instead of
    background: #3355EE --> notice the HASH (#)... dumb, and poor on the part of the designers/programmers. ANd M$ Exploder which ignores mistakes like that (*to make life easier for developers, I presume!?*) and the page looks ok.

Now, the nice thing about opera there is the ability to easily jump from USER and PAGE styles! And thats where I found the solution to the problem: I downloaded the style sheet from the site, plugged it into my user style sheet (I did that with 6 sites that are poorly coded), corrected those idiotic newbie errors and now I surf in page mode, but when I go to those sites, I just hit that button on the page toolbar.

Opera IS the best browser. It does Java (if you need it), and ActiveXYZ was/is garbage from the start. FOr all my needs it's perfect.

A.

I just downloaded and installed Opera 6 and so far it doesn't seem to bad. I kinda like the look of it. Where can you download the skins for it?
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

I like that you can build custom skins for it. It seems like it is a good browser.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

Talking and more about UI in Opera

As far as the browsing experience:

MOUSE ACTIONS!

hold Right mouse button down and click left MB... NICE! No more stupid RClick - Back garbage.

Or my Fav: CTRL+SCROLL WHEEL.... (zooming)

Also, hold RMB+mouse down and then up (all along holding RMB) (opens a link in the bgrnd)... I mean...

As far as the User Interface, Opera is miles ahead of any browser.

Just a GOOD piece of programming! Thank you OperaSoftware!

A.

Re: and more about UI in Opera

Casper: Right click on the button-bar (with the back button, home button, refresh, etc) and the bottom selection of the list should be "Get Skins", which takes you to http://my.opera.com/customize/ .

Originally posted by Arach
    hold Right mouse button down and click left MB... NICE! No more stupid RClick - Back garbage.
    I just hit the backspace button. I did that in IE too.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Re: Re: and more about UI in Opera

Originally posted by Terr

I just hit the backspace button. I did that in IE too.
    Well, If you like to use left hand. I don't. In any case, right click, hold the button and move your mouse to the left (BACK) or to the right (FORWARD). Or hold RMB and click LEFT (for BACK), and RIGHT (FORWARD). There is more, and that's why I said that Opera's UI is far ahead of IE.

A.