Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Opera 6.0

Thumbs down

I found another bug in Opera 6.0

if you go to www.vnunet.com (which is an excelent website for those who are interested on whats goin on in the computer security world..) and click any articles to read them.. you will notice that the text is distorted and all crunched up...

which is too bad coz i really love Opera's features compared to IE and well its just the distortion and the flicking of the gif images that bugs me..

Angry You Have no Clue What you are talking about

opera 6.0 is a very standards friendly browser. You cannot blame Opera for the mistakes that Dumb webpage creators make when making an only ie friendly webpage. Opera is still the fastest and cleanest running web browser out there and its free. It doesn't dominate your operating system such as Internet Explorer. I rarely have problems with Opera accessing a webpage, but if I do, I copy the link into IE, and send the webmaster a message about their page not being standards compliant. Deal with the fact that Microsoft wants to dominate and get over it, but don't succomb to them and get sucked into using their products if you don't have to.

-TUXGOON
    -----------
    Want to waste some time?
    Go To http://www.tuxgoon.com

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    I wouldn't say that's a "bug" in Opera 6. That's more like the webmaster or whoever made it didn't make it comply with w3c standards. When you can pass their validation check w/o any errors, then you've got a page that's 'any browser' compliant. I will say their dhtml needs help though, but that'll be good enough.

Get off the IE bandwagon and onto the Opera bandwagon! A neat thing I noticed with Opera that IE doesn't do: click on a link that takes a few seconds to load, then right click on a link in the page real quick and "Open in New Window", keep that menu open until the first link you clicked on resolves and then open it in a new window. It'll actually store the address and allow you to open that second link in the new window even though the page has already been left whereas IE won't. Just something else I like about Opera.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

I have been running Opera 6.0 on a WIN2K computer and I love it. I didn't think i would but i do. I also dowloaded the Linux version but that one is giving me errors when I try to install the rpm on my Red Hat 7.1. Can anyone help?
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

Hello Guys!

Good day to everyone! If anyone's interested in consulting a browser comparison chart, to know the strengths and limitations of each, just checkout the 2 links below:

1) www.searchengineworld.com/opera/faceoff.htm
    2) www.webreview.com/browsers/browsers.shtml

A blessed day to all!

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again. ~ William Penn
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MADNESS!!!

When I first got Opera, I clicked something somewhere and it said something about mouse gestures, but I thought it was another stupid annoying feature, so I just clicked NO (which disables it) without really reading the entire message.

Then I read Arach's post about mouse gestures, it looked interesting, so I read Opera's help file on the mouse gestures and now I can't get enought of it!! I love it. It's a great feature and it makes everything soooooo much easier. If you haven't tried a bit of the 'mouse gesture' action - I suggest you get onto it!!

Greg
    \"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
    What they don\'t understand.
    When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
    -- William Forrester

What about Amaya or even Galeon (Gnome desktop) in Linux. I use Opera on mw XP box. But, I have been very satisfied with running Amaya or Galeon on my Tux Box under Mandrake. On my Tux box I have yet to encounter any problems with pages displaying wrong. With IE it's a regular hassle though on XP. Opera only once in a blue moon. Just goes to show you how stable Tux is. In some ways though it has more to do with the way the pages and/or site are built.

Just my $.02 cents worth.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

Opera 6.0 TP3 for Linux has just been released. This one actually works, the TP2 didn't. Finally an excellent browser also for Linux.
    ---
    proactive

Originally posted by proactive
    Opera 6.0 TP3 for Linux has just been released. This one actually works, the TP2 didn't. Finally an excellent browser also for Linux.
    Thanks for that info. I've not used Opera on Tux. I'll have to give it a try.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

I didn't really believe that Opera was faster then any other browser. I didn't really think that there would be a noticable difference in speed. Anyways, I always use Opera, cos I like it's features better then IE. Well, it crashed while I went to www.hardocp.com - it always seems to jam when visiting that site (any other Opera users want to confirm this? Maybe it's just for me) - and I had to go back to using IE, cos I didn't want to restart the computer. Well, I couldn't believe how slowwwww IE was. The difference in speed is very noticable.

Greg
    \"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
    What they don\'t understand.
    When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
    -- William Forrester