Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Opera 6.0

Originally posted by Oso
    There is the ANY BROWSER campaign, which I think is a good effort to get rid of monopolies.
    When you get down to it, Opera is less of a monopoly than AOL/Time-Warner/Netscape or Microsoft/IE! (Unless Opera has some sort of Mafia connections or something which I've never heard about.)

Opera also claims to only support HTML 'standards', in other words, not the fancy browser-specific crap from IE/Netscape. Why were you disappointed? I think the banner ads are tastefully placed and sized, and they don't chew up too much bandwidth...

(Yes, I know I'm becoming a rabid Opera fan... It just happened, I guess.)
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Wink

Yeah, Opera is fast, that's the best of it, but the banner I believe is way to big. I just don't want any banner at all. Why should somebody be trying to sell me something all the time?. (question kind of weird here on the US).

If Opera would get rid of the banner I might use it as my primary browser... and yes, I hate the plugins, but I guess I have no other option than using them. As most people.
    Todo lo que no me mata me hace mas fuerte...

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Terr

(Yes, I know I'm becoming a rabid Opera fan... It just happened, I guess.)

It didn't just happen. It's natural progression, or even evolution! We all start with the run of the mill browsers but the majority of us end up with the far superior Opera. It's just common sense......

Also Terr, I took your advice and disabled java. Opera hasn't crashed since. Thanks for the advice....

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    As far as the banner goes, you *can* get around that, but I'm not about to post it, hehe...it's really trivial.

Second, about "free" browsers? I can tell someone here isn't wanting to pay for good software. Support good software, that's what I do and I'm damned proud of it. The reason everyone uses IE is because it's free and it's "incorporated" into the OS.

Oh, Conf1rm3d_K1ll, if you install the new java 1.4 beta for winblows, you won't have problems. I haven't had a crash yet with it and java's still on!

And finally, for those who have problems with pages that 'don't display right', maybe if these companies stopped producing pages meant for IE only with it's "MS oriented tags only", maybe then those problems won't happen.

Overall, Opera's MUCH better than IE anything, regardless of what IE "has over" it. I'll take w3c standards any day of the week over proprietary shite...
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Cool

ok there's another bug i noticed...

when i attatch something to my e-mails, in other words when i doe-mail attatchments, Opera gives me a msg prompting me that the Server has closed the connection. and i have to press the "attatch" button and read the prompt 3 times b4 it starts uploading the file. Which DOES NOT happen with IE. If i use IE the moment i press the "attatch" button it immidately uploads the file w/ no hassle..

and i always get this Java Runtime Environment error with Opera when i go to sites that has Java in it.. it says that the Java Runtime Envoronment is not compatible with Opera, which is damn annoying.

Uhm... you can remove the banner, just pay for the excellent software. I don't mean to sound offending, but if you didn't pay anything for the hard work of the programmers, why complain about the banner? It's their way of feeding their families. And they do give you an option to give them more information on the kind of ads to display.

As for the plugins... You can disable and remove them if you don't want them running. And if you want a temporary change, in the 6.0 beta you can hit F12 to quickly and easily turn on and off the use of java, javascript, plugins, animated GIFs, popup javascript routines, browser identity, cookies, etc.

AFAIK IE doesn't like to give you that kind of easy control. You have tend to have to navigate through many layers of options.

La de da de da....
    Another Gaping IE Hole

Apparently a website can cause you to automatically run any downloaded EXE files...

And all they have to do is put a META tag in the page to refresh the page to the EXE, and viola, then ran something on your computer.

Thumbs up

opera 6.0.........
    well it does hangs sometimes n specially when i try downloading some file.
    the only option then is to close it down n open it again.
    find feature doens't works here on my sys.
    does it work for u ppl??
    also once the 'x' button on the top right side became disabled n it refused to exit normally while all the other things were workin fine within the browser. but that happened just once.

but these r small bugs n also not to forget that its in beta stage.
    a nice interface n faster browsing.
    don't know if there r any other browsers there with mail download features but this is the first one i have used.
    n i find this feature absolutely lovely.
    no more of MICROSOFT outlook(knowing they won't lemme delete the mails easily).

definitely its a finer alternative for IE.

Cool

hmm well i did compare Opera with IE when it comes to speed and damn Opera is faster.. i both gave them the address to hotmail and Opera loded the page faster than IE..

so the speed does impress me..

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    *bumps to top* Having experimented with opera 6.0 for a while now, I can safely say I'm never going back to IE ever again (except to download the countless "updates" they have through Windows Update). It's the best and I suggest that anyone who's looking for a good alternative that's worth every penny to check out Opera 6.0. Worth every penny!
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.