Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: On demand of Ennis

Senior since the 3 dot era

On demand of Ennis

On demand of Ennis:
    The discussion about hackers and crackers reopend

hacker: someone with lots of practical and theoretical computer skills. He would only force into another system when testing his / here skills or when learning about other systems. A hacker does not (ethical implication) intentionally damage another system.

cracker: his goal is to gain access to a secured computer just to make himself important or to make money

Banned
    Ah..... the object of ethic's in a loosely unethical hard to govern cyberworld.

We all have a choice you see but I ask you VictorKaum why we look upon the differance of two words, the term hacker and the term cracker with such emphasis, what makes it so important that we know the differance.
    Is it the culture, the history or just another way of mindlessly passing time on a wasteful subject?

Im not sure thats why I have asked you to make this thread, I want to know what you think...?

Senior since the 3 dot era

Uhh

Well, I could release that I'am a *real* ethic and writing a Masters dissertation on the topic civilized society but that's not the issue here...

I'am referring to the fact that any computer lover would agree that malicious computer use is not meant to be called hacking.

I'am just sick of the widespread misunderstanding hack/crack
    thankz holywood by the way for their ignorance

I think that you (Ennis) have almost the same opinion or not?

Banned
    I have a very similar opinion, Im not a hacker by the way but I do understand why those who are get frustrated by the whole issue.

Ive tried the best I can to spread awareness about the h/cr/acker issue but after a while I realised it was pointless.

The media has a larger voice than a million typed keys that are only to be seen and recognised by those with similar views. Those it reaches will become like you, same cause, same results.

Anyway Im ranting so Ill stop but you get the jist, I hope!

This should be cleared up even more. Anyone who accesses another computer without the expressed permission of the owner, whether to gain money from it, to show off,or just prove that they can, is a CRACKER. A hacker is one who knows how to crack, but only uses their methods for the advancement of security and tests primarily on their own networks.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

thePreacher: so how do you categorize Adrian Lamo?
    security focus article
    Dear Santa, I liked the mp3 player I got but next christmas I want a SA-7 surface to air missile

I am not trying to say that Adrian Lamo is a bad person, but what he does is still illegal. That means he is cracking. This is quoted from the article you gave me.

"But the bottom line is, it is unauthorized access, and it's clear when you get into a company's network that there are disclaimers everywhere you go. I suppose at some point he could make the wrong people angry, or the timing could be such that he doesn't get a chance to come forward and say, 'Here's how I did it,' because they find him first."

A book(John Chirillo, Hack Attacks Revealed) I read awhile back defined them for me, and it's pretty much the way I've viewed the two terms since.

A hacker is typically a person who is totally immersed in computer technology and computer programming, someone who likes to examine the code of operating systems and other programs to see how they work. This individual then uses his or her computer expertise for illicit purposes such as gaining access to computer systems without permission and data on systems. At that point, this individual would steal information, carry out corporate espionage, and install backdoors, virii, and Trojans.

A cracker is a person who circumvents of defeats the security measures of a network or porticular computer system to gain unauthorized access. The classic goal of a cracker is to obtain information illegally from a computer system to use computer resources illegally. Nevertheless, the main goal of the majority is to merely break into the system.

Now they are similar, perhaps more emphasis on knowledge is imparted to the hacker. Clearly though, both are viewed here as distructive. Looking up the definition on dictionary.com and in websters, they seem to comply with the idea that hacker is generally meant as somebody who conducts illegal activities on a computer.

So I have to ask those of you who fight to be called hackers and to have it mean only having the knowledge and not carrying it out. Why insist on the name hacker? Clearly the public view of the term is a negative one, as is most defintions for the word.

Perhaps the struggle for the term hacker is not entirely based on principals, but also the lust for the touch of awe and mystery it inspires in the average person to hear that you're a hacker.

What is wrong with computer security expert? Would not a rose by any other name smell as sweet?

Echelon for one monitors al our traffic, de-crypt our encrypted mails and read them, listen in on our cell-phones and the list goes on and on. And that´s legal? Or JP first "encounter" with a wrongful computer act.
    What the "big" guys are doing is far more revolting that what Lamo is doing, and yeah it´s illegal but if some wanker decides to press charges against him they are begging for DoS and an asorted mix of trojans.
    Dear Santa, I liked the mp3 player I got but next christmas I want a SA-7 surface to air missile

Dont get me wrong, I am all for the helpful hacker, but looking at what the definition of cracker is and what Lamo is doing, I see a parallel. The main difference is that he doesnt illegally access the computers for personal gain. It would be like someone walking up and down your street checking to see if your door is locked. They find your house they walk in, look around, go through your things, and leave without taking anything. The next day they call you and tell you that your door was unlocked so they let themselves in. How would you feel? I personally want no one inside my house(computer) without my permission, even if they had good intensions. This is my place not yours. I have the right to my privacy, and so do these big companies.