Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie FAQ. Check these to make sure your question hasn't been asked.

Newbie FAQ. Check these to make sure your question hasn't been asked.

Frequently Asked (Newbie) Questions at AntiOnline

What’s the best firewall?
    Where can I get a tutorial for...?
    How do I hack hotmail/yahoo/school server?
    What’s the best operating system?
    Where can I learn about hacking?
    What’s the best browser?
    What programming languages should I learn?
    I will add any other suggestions that people have.

What's the best firewall?
    stflook said it best:
    ZoneAlarm: (freeware) I like this firewall for it's ease of use. It has a very user-friendly interface, and the logging and reporting are both very good. I like its ability to engage its "lock" either on your command or on a timer. Another nice feature of its lock is that you can tell it to let some programs through it. So if you wanted to cut yourself off, but still leave your website up, ZoneAlarm would let you do that. I also like the fact that it can give you details on the activity that it has blocked. It can also alert you when it has blocked activity by either displaying a pop-up, or flashing its icon in the system tray. This firewall is generally best for beginners, or somebody who doesn't feel like taking the time to configure a firewall. You can get this firewall (for Windows) here.

Tiny: (freeware) I like this firewall for its controllability. Unlike ZoneAlarm, Tiny can set rules based on port, protocol, remote address, program, and the direction of the traffic. ZoneAlarm only sets rules by program, unless you get ZoneAlarm Pro. It is also supposedly more secure than ZoneAlarm and BlackICE, but I have never confirmed that. Unlike ZoneAlarm, Tiny will not alert you when you receive an attack, but it can still log the activity it filters. I like the fact that it is always the first application to start (at least on my machine), so there is little chance of some traffic slipping past while the machine is booting up. The only downside (besdes no alerts) is that its interface isn't
    newbie-friendly. This firewall is generally best for intermediate to advanced users, or those who need more control than ZoneAlarm can offer. If you're interested, you can download Tiny (for Windows) here.

BlackICE: This firewall is basically the best of both Tiny and ZoneAlarm. Its rule-setting is wonderful. For beginners, there are four basic settings; trusting, cautious, nervous, and paranoid. That's all. For extra control, its advanced rule-setting is much like Tiny's. When you're attacked, it can sound an audible alert, and logs the activity, and will display the attack for you, categorized by severity. If you want, it will let you block the attacker for a set amount of time, or forever. It can alse give you detailed information on the attack, and whether or not it's worth fussing over. I have heard that it doesn't block the Sub 7 trojan, but have not confirmed that, so separate trojan protection with this firewall wouldn't be a bad idea. Other than that, it's a magnificant firewall. You can learn more about BlackICE here.
    Where can I get a tutorial for...?
    Check the Tutorial Index that Negative posted. http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=133897

How do I hack hotmail/yahoo/school server?
    If you ask this question you will be flamed. Flamed very badly and for a very long time. Do not ask this question. Search for it at www.google.com. Do not ask this question. You will be immediately despised if you ask this question.

What’s the best operating system?
    There is no best operating system. Windows is the most dominant and easy to use but it has lots of problems. Linux is the most liked in the computer world. Versions of Linux include Mandrake, Red Hat, and SuSE.

Where can I learn about hacking?
    At lots of places. Try doing a search on the subject at www.google.com. There are hundreds and thousands of these sites. Here’s the link to the Hacker FAQ at the alt.hacker forum: http://www.antionline.com/showthread...erating+system

What’s the best browser?
    Personal opinion. I like Opera because you can turn off the images that slow the computer down. IE is the most common and really isn’t a bad browser. People generally hate Netscape, but feel free to use it.

What programming languages should I learn?
    HTML(even though it’s not technically a language.) People have different opinions about the others. But you can feel free to research(again, at www.google.com) any of the following, or others not mentioned. Visual Basic. Java. PERL. Assembly. C. C++. Linux Programming.

If your question isn’t here, then ask it, and be specific. If your question wasn’t answered in detail here then PM me or an pleasant, knowledgeable person here. Then if you are STILL curious ask it in the forum. But be SPECIFIC.
    Why am I still here?

Great post Alcatraz! I'm sure that helped lots of newbies!

As far as programming languages to learn, don't forget C and C++.

I'm going to get a book on C this Saturday. I hope to edit the Linux kernel and make FLOOKWARE! And when I do, you all get a copy!

Originally posted by stflook
    As far as programming languages to learn, don't forget C and C++.

I'm going to get a book on C this Saturday. I hope to edit the Linux kernel and make FLOOKWARE! And when I do, you all get a copy!
    If I could make a recommendation, the SAMS Teach Yourself Linux Programming in 24 Hours set (ISBN 0-672-31824-5) is pretty decent. It contains two books (C Programming, and Linux Programming) that are really useful. It also comes with a CD with sources, etc.. It's what I've used to learn C, and it's pretty hand as both a learning tool and as reference material.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

Actually, I was looking into their 21 days series, as my friend says they generally go into more detail than the 24 hours series. I have their 24 hours book for HTML, and it actually takes about an hour if you cut the crap and go straight for the useful stuff.

I knew I was forgetting some obvious languages! I'll add em now.
    Why am I still here?

Back to the top.
    Why am I still here?

Up we go...

Good for us newbie's. This stuff and things like it should be placed at the top all the time.
    You start to wonder if you really know yourself, when you smell your exkrements...

Cool Programming Language

As far as my concern as a administrator, I prefer Perl as my pet

Becaz, Perl is the language created by a administrator 'Larry Wall' for administrators

If u familiar with Perl, it will help all sort of administrative (System / Network / Security / Web ) taks.

My next choice is Visual Basic.

If your network is hetrogenous or *nix based then Perl is the best programming / scripting language for Administrators.

It your network is M$ based, then Visual Basic is your programming / scripting choice.
    If u can dream it, u can do it.

Excellent Ennis , Keep writing tutorials like that and you will get great feedback from me.
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."