Thread: The Dreaded Blue Screen of Death

Banned

The Dreaded Blue Screen of Death

Here's some info on the BSOD I picked up....
    about the b..s....o...d.....

Help/Understanding
    Inside the BSOD
    More Help
    Recovery
    Solve

Pictures
    Big BSOD
    Lots of pics!

Humour
    Spoof

Articles
    Windows ME
    XBox

I once wrote a nice program in vb that was a fake blue screen. Stuck it in my mothers autoexec.bat file and she screamed for days trying to figure out what was wrong. Of course my switch to linux means I wont be seeing this again. As a side note, I notice that most Blue Screens occur on my sisters computer when she tries to run AOL and Internet Explorer at the same time.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

larryjs
    quote:Originally posted by ThePreacher
    I once wrote a nice program in vb that was a fake blue screen. Stuck it in my mothers autoexec.bat file and she screamed for days trying to figure out what was wrong. unquote
    rofl now that's funny rofl

I haven't seen the bluescreen since i left Win ME for Win2000 & XP. My computer has crashed several times though. I'm curious if MS has removed the bluescreen from these OS? That wouldn't be to strange since the bluescreen has gotten a rather bad name. And it would be funny, MS taking care of the bluescreen instead of the many bugs.
    ---
    proactive

as well, i have yet to see the bsod on xp... i wonder if they removed it... i think they must have

Originally posted by lord_darkside_x
    i have yet to see the bsod on xp... i wonder if they removed it
    Oh yeah, its still there in all its glory.
    At least in Build 2600.

larryjs
    Oh yea Xp has em. Nt4.0 used 150 XP has about 300.

Here are the most common ones for 4.0

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL 0x0A
    This code is probably the most frequently appearing code, and it usually results from a buggy driver. The most common source of the problem is that the Virtual Memory Manager has detected a kernel-mode component's attempt to access pageable memory when the IRQL is Dispatch Level or higher and the memory is in the paging file. The IRQL must be below Dispatch Level for this operation to be legal. Look at the modules listed in the Stop Code and stack trace areas of the screen for a possible candidate. This code can also be a side effect resulting from a driver not shown in either area that scribbled on memory it shouldn't have.

UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP 0x7F and KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED 0x1E
    These two codes also show up frequently. In this case, the Microkernel's processor exception handler has detected that a driver or subsystem has tried to execute an illegal processor instruction, or a software instruction that NT cannot interpret. The cause can be a faulty memory module or a driver that has corrupted memory. The module information on the blue screen is usually misleading in this case, making it difficult to identify the source of the problem.

NO_MORE_IRP_STACK_LOCATIONS 0x35
    With this code, if you've added a new virus scanner or someone has accessed a shared volume over the network for the first time on the machine, the Server device driver can be at fault. The Server device driver constructs I/O request packets with a slot for every device driver on the path to the disk. Sometimes the number of I/O request packets the Server device driver allocates is insufficient, resulting in this Stop Code. Try increasing the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\ServicesLanmanServer\IrpStackSize setting to a number higher than 4 (or whatever it's set to) and see whether the problem goes away.

INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE 0x7B
    If you see this Stop Code, NT is very early in a boot and cannot access the disk partition that boot.ini is pointing to for the location of the system files (where your \winnt directory resides). The disk containing that partition is faulty, or the data on the disk or partition has become corrupt. I encountered this code when I left an NT 4.0 distribution CD-ROM in my CD-ROM drive and rebooted. The computer tried to boot from the CD-ROM, and NT displayed this message when it couldn't continue. An NT repair install is worth a try, but you'll likely have to buy a new driver or reformat, reinstall, and restore backed-up data.

I will post the common(or is it uncommon) bsod for XP later
    I have the list at work and I am at home now

Ever since I upgraded to XP from ME i havent seen the bsod. Especially since i used to use ME its almost as if i miss the bsod. Hopefully XP will live up to its expectations and I wont ever see that dreaded screen again.
    Life is just a series of decisions, each one can alter your future and you can possibly end your life at any moment. Do you really want to be under the care of the Microsoft Support Center?!?!

B.S.O.D.

Oh yes, The B.S.O.D. is in win xp....Surpizingly i have only seen it once and i have it running on a computer with a 180mhz proccessor and 65mb ram....If xp can go on this computer xp can go on any computer..(granted its not the fastest in the world)