Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on the mentality of some users...

PHP/PostgreSQL guy

Post Question on the mentality of some users...

Ok, let's see...where to start. Ah yes, the points sytem. You know, I'm not at all expecting every member to agree with things I might write about or post but there are some tactful things one might remember (Sebastos12, you might want to pay real close attention to this as you seem to suffer from high-school-teenage-I've-gotta-yell-obscenities-at-everyone-because-it's-my-freedom-of-speech*):

1: If I don't outright yell at you, don't yell at me
    2: If I don't cuss at you specifically, don't cuss at me
    3: When posting negative points to my post because you don't agree with it, a comment that consists of "**** you by sebastos12" doesn't really come across as a well-thought-out response. Are we getting the picture that this post is in response to Sebastos12's "**** you by sebastos12" comment to my C# response post?

As it is now, I don't mind if someone disagrees with a post I write but that's just outright immature and makes a person look like a dumbass. Guess it really does take all kinds...

* - this does not reflect on every high-school teenager, just 90% of them that I've run into that seem to have something to prove to everyone because "nobody understands them"...

I figured something out on the antipoints but I'm not going to post anything here because it would be abused by idiots like Sebastos12 and others who seem to love to post negative points with vulgar comments...
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

We all got that same post. Seems like Sebastos have had a bad day or something. Or too much spare-time.....
    ---
    proactive

Re: Question on the mentality of some users...

Originally posted by Vorlin
    3: When posting negative points to my post because you don't agree with it, a comment that consists of "**** you by sebastos12" doesn't really come across as a well-thought-out response. Are we getting the picture that this post is in response to Sebastos12's "**** you by sebastos12" comment to my C# response post?
    Join the club. I recieved a similar balance antipoint from sebastos12. Not only this, but this is the fourth time he has sent me some. I really am beginning to think that certain members are deserving of the flames that they recieve. Then again if we hadnt flamed him in the first place, he might not have become so disgruntled. I think he has a vendetta against me. Oh well.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

I guess I can join the "received attempted negative points with a nasty comment by sebastos12" club. I got the exact same attempted points with the same comments. When I confronted him about it, he admitted it. I'm not sure why he would sign negative points like that, especially when being nasty. Unless everybody else's were really recent, I wouldn't worry about it. If they were, maybe it's time to turn him over to JP. I'm not going to worry about that, though. If somebody else wants to go to the trouble to report it, go for it. I won't though. I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Vorlin: What kind of teenagers are you coming into contact with? The ones I have to deal with (my high school class) are that way because they're on an ego trip, not because they feel nobody understands them. They just act resentful when they feel that nobody understands them. As a "geeky" teenager, I can see both sides of that argument. The teenagers on an ego trip act like asses and then get pissed when they're not treated like adults. They have no right to complain. However, that stereotype is used to judge ALL teenagers, so the ones that can be civil have to suffer just as much. They have every right to complain. I know you were a teenager at one point, so you should understand what I'm trying to say, no matter which side you were on.

I would like to agree with this thread there should be some changes with AO put it's not our site to mess with. Most of the changes will happen if we request enough but it's all up to the man with the editing software.

Anyway in response to using bad language. I would have to argree. I've gone to war with people and have gotton stupid antipoints with nothing but foul language on them. All it tells me is that these people are not educated enough to express themselves. I really do frown on people when they say bad words on threads or anything else. To me it just gets me ryled up enough to comment and I usually do over due it but I win and they eventually stop posting. Anyway don't use bad language you look more like and idiot and some people like me will actually make you cry to your mommy if you do.

Senior since the 3 dot era

Lightbulb

Oh now I get the commment and negative antipoints I recieved

It were antipoints by Sebastos12,

He said "I will give you negative antipoints for ever if you don't give me points for this. Happy Christmas" by Sebastos12.

Don't worry, most of Sebastos' point don't affect your own point total at all.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

First of all, most of his points don't count anyways. Don't worry, almost all of us have gotten that message before so don't take it personally.
    Life is just a series of decisions, each one can alter your future and you can possibly end your life at any moment. Do you really want to be under the care of the Microsoft Support Center?!?!

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Right on...appreciate the comments by everyone on this. It would seem that something could be done on the points issue (already posted I know), and that maybe JP could figure out a better way (moderator or some email addy to send complaints about?) to handle them. Now, for some good comments, this is a great site. I love coming here everyday to help people out and from this post I received positive antipoints (names changed to protect the guilty hehe) from two people who 'left because of the same thing'. I like helping people out. I like trying to be of some assistance to my peers in the same field as me, that being computers overall, from programming, to sys admin work, to security...Anything I can pass on to someone who needs help is a good thing for me because ...

"You can't say you know anything until you teach it to someone else."

Don't know if someone said that sometime or if I just pulled it out of my @$$ but it's true...I'm so tired of these high-and-mighty people who act like they have all the answers when they don't.
    One hard lesson learned a long time ago was me learning how to say "I don't know" to something and getting help. After all, the worst thing to have behind the keyboard is a unix admin who thinks they know everything (watched that happen once, 16 hours of recovery later).

stflook - I dunno...I'm nothing what you would consider "popular" in HS or now. Last night I went to Wal-Mart to get stuff and there were these three teenage kids (probably 16-18) with one riding in the shopping cart (dumbass). Listening to them talk (if I got a buck for every 'like', 'you know', and 'whatever') and watching them roll their eyes when I said 'Excuse me' while passing just tells me that it's another example of Mom-and-Dad-give-me-everything (driving a 2001 Camaro?) attitude. Not many I've seen or met had to work the sh*t jobs from the bottom or had to pay for their cars/insurance or anything like that. Great idea on the 'future of America'. Glad my kids run on 120 volts! Discipline in today's childcare is a whole issue by itself. My parents only had to count to three *once* for me and my sister yet today I see kids (like my gf's cousin's kid) throwing rocks and being told gently "Eyes only...eyes only". Man, my mom would have beat me down bigtime if I threw *one* rock at someone, much less handfuls. Anyways, before I get on that soapbox, I just think a lot of sh*t needs to change and very fast. A lot of these people need to grow up and realize that the world consists of a lot of other things and not just themselves. And to answer your question, not all are bad, like yourself, some are good. Just a very very few.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Thumbs up

Vorlin I agree totally with you the kids now adays seem to think the world revolves around them. I have a teen age daughter who is a pretty smart kid but most of her freinds I`d like to take out behind the wood shed and teach them some manners. The language that comes out of their mouths would make a sailor blush and these are girls in grade ten. I may be from the old school when if we talked like that in front of parents even if they were not our own boy would we have a strange taste in our mouths. Now a days parents are scared to gross out their kids for fear that someone might think that they are bad people. Most do not realise that kids need rules and if they break the rules they need more than "oh Johnny dont do that, that wasnt nice" as their little johnny just took a gun to school and took out half of the teachers because they gave him a bad grade. And if some think I`m wrong read the news . When did the kids start running the world Its time to stand up and tell these kids that they want something then go get a job and work for the money to buy it thats what my daughter does and she does not use the language that her friends do because if her boss heard her she would loss her job, works great there isnt the rudeness or the I want give me now bull that others have to put up with ,with their kids. Now don`t get me wrong my kid is no angel but she is learning that its hard out in the real world and there are rules that you have to follow whether you like them or not. Also it helps shes in army cadets and they are teaching her how to respect others which is lacking in our school systems. This is my rant thanks for the opening to post one of my pet peeves. Keep posting Vorlin you have some interesting thoughts.
    No good deed goes unpunished.