Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linux Kernel Upgrade:Aftermath Problem

YesssSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome, I re compiled my kernel and now I can mount floppies!
    thanks UberC0der and Travis_Bickle, back to work, I am now very happy.

Thanks Everyone..
    -Jason

Glad to hear that you are mounting floppies again!

jason-mis, I hope you don't mid me answering a couple of the questions I missed out on.

Slackware is more Unix like than the others, but what this really means is that it currently does not support .rpm's, it does not have any gui config menus, and it does not have any package manager/installer other than `pkgtool' which is pretty low tech compared to YAST2 (Suse), gnorpm & redcarpet (Red Hat), `apt-get' (Debian) and other similar tools. The directory tree, kernel, modules, config files and all that are just like they are in any other Distro and they are in the same place.

One of the reasons Slackware got the 'Most Unix Like' label was a few versions ago they did not use glibc, which no Unix Flavors use either; but all Linux Distro's do use glibc. Glibc was added because the Linux kernel later required the glibc libraries, and so do all modern Linux packages that are written in C or C++. (most C/C++ packages for Linux want gcc-2.9.x or better, slackware was using the Unix standard cc)

Debian is fantastic and it does come with all of the popular window managers except KDE. It does not have KDE because it is not 100% compliant with the GPL and GNU standards. Debian aims to be 100% Open Source and is always striving for the approval of Richard Stallman.
    If you ever notice, the full title of Debian is 'Debian GNU/Linux' which is earned by richard Stallman's nod. The coolest thing about Debian in my opinion is that it is put together completely by volunteers, many of which have never even met before.

It is worth mentioning that Slackware is maintained by just one person, Patrick Volkerding.

Suse is a very good Distro, I feel that they offer everything that Red Hat does, and I hope they stick around for a while. I think that the best thing about Suse is that they are aiming directly at the `Desktop User', If anyone is going to make Linux a contentder on the Desktop it just might be Suse. The only issue that I have with Suse it that YAST2 is not 100% Open Source, other than that I think they are great for the Linux newbie and the experienced Linux hacker alike.

Anyway, glad to hear that you are enjoying Linux. Just take it one step at a time and you will be an `Uber Power Linux User' before you know it.

Catch ya later jason-mis
    Know this..., you may not by thyself in pride claim the Mantle of Wizardry; that way lies only Bogosity without End.

Rather must you Become, and Become, and Become, until Hackers respect thy Power, and other Wizards hail thee as a Brother or Sister in Wisdom, and you wake up and realize that the Mantle hath lain unknown upon thy Shoulders since you knew not when.

Thank Uberc0der

I am taking it one step at a time. I am going to purchase Suse 7.3 Pro the first time I see it. I went to a few book stores today but I didn't see any copies of it. Thank again for your input and help. I don't think I will go with Slack or Debian, I think SuSE is for me!

-Jason