ftp://mail.victim.com ???!!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ftp://mail.victim.com ???!!!

ftp://mail.victim.com ???!!!

While I was playing with one of our town's ISP's mail server, I typed "ftp://mail.the_isp.com" in my browser and get some files, I could see them, I just wonder what this mean: ftp://mail.somewhere.com
    is it a security hole? or something else...
    may be it is a newbie question or something lame
    Share on Google+

acidphreak
    Most likely ur just login in as a annon. login , or if its ur ISP it might just allow people with that ISP hostmask to get in. It could be many other things also but i highly doubt its any sort of security sploit

cya
    Share on Google+

Originally posted by acidphreak
    Most likely ur just login in as a annon. login , or if its ur ISP it might just allow people with that ISP hostmask to get in. It could be many other things also but i highly doubt its any sort of security sploit

cya
    No It is not my ISP, but i log in anonymously!
    Share on Google+

I'd have thought this meant the isp's mail server had ftp access as well - which it shouldn't. A company i worked for collected pop mail from a server and i noticed that a pop account also gave you telnet access and read/write ftp access, on a red hat 5.2 box - i changed mail hosts.
    Share on Google+

there is such a thing as ftp mail, but it sound more like an ftp server is runnung on the mail sever. what rights do you have on it?
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”
    Share on Google+

Banned
    What OS and browser are you using? In win98 1st edition there is a setting in IE under tools/internet options/advanced called "let browser log into ftp sites anoymously" if you are using that version of IE check to see if this option is checked.
    Share on Google+

Originally posted by Tedob1
    there is such a thing as ftp mail, but it sound more like an ftp server is runnung on the mail sever. what rights do you have on it?
    I don't underestan what u mean by "what rights I have done on it" excuse me for my poor english.

but if u mean what Ihave done on that server, Ok I didn't do anything, I just take a look at the files , some exe and jpg files.
    Share on Google+

Are you able to download files from or upload files to the server?

If you are able to upload to the server then you have Read/Write rights to the server. If you can only view files, then you only have Read rights to the server.
    - Maverick
    Share on Google+

Originally posted by antihaxor
    What OS and browser are you using? In win98 1st edition there is a setting in IE under tools/internet options/advanced called "let browser log into ftp sites anoymously" if you are using that version of IE check to see if this option is checked.
    I always use opera browser, but I tested that both with opera and IE and I don't think that it depends on my browser , it must be something wrong in the romote server!
    Share on Google+

Originally posted by Maverick811
    Are you able to download files from or upload files to the server?

If you are able to upload to the server then you have Read/Write rights to the server. If you can only view files, then you only have Read rights to the server.
    No I can only read the files
    Share on Google+