Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visual Basic OS ?

Banned

Thumbs up Visual Basic OS ?

Does anyone know of any Operating Systems that are made with Visual Basic and are open source. I know one of them is NeoShell (http://neoshell.sourceforge.net) but for some reason i can't download it. Does anyone know of any more ?

oblio
    this isnt an os

oblio is right that is a shell not an os. a shell is an aplication. and realies on another os to function (like win 3.1 relied on dos)
    an os would be able to interface at the machine level ( with 101010101 10101 and all that fun stuff) and at the user level ( with a GUI) i suggest you find a tutorial about that if you want to know more.

you could probably program your own shell/os if you wanted one and then of course it would be open source

As oblio said, it isn't an OS. It looks to be a shell..

The Windows that you see can actually be changed. There are a few different shells out there, try here if your interested...

Also, you can change your shell to progman.exe for that good old Win 3.x feel..
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

Banned
    Oh, OK Thanks. But one more question, which shell would you recommend ?

I don't use them. I used to, but they kept crashing and stuff..

One of them was evil, and wouldn't change the theme I had on, and I was just testing it out, and it had this rather disgusting picture on there... had to format the computer to get rid of that one... not fun....

But that was a while ago, so they might be more stable now.... but unfortunately, I can't remember the names of the ones I've tried.. I'll think about it and if I remember, I'll tell you...
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

There is one beatiful shell called LiteStep. The screenshoots are unbeliable, and it's quite usable too. But I rather stick with the old original shell because I don't have time to fool around and get used to a new one. But I've tried LiteStep on win2000 and I can recommend it. Try it out, and tell us what you think!
    ---
    proactive

I'd suggest Talisman, they're on the second version now I think. It lets you edit the theme yourself, with a little programming knowledge you can make the shell do whatever you want. It's neat.

Banned
    Yeah, Ive decided to go with Talisman. The screenshots are awesome

I heard of a new OS from Hogfly...

Its gonna be called VBinux

The new open source Linux made from VB. Send a PM to Hogfly he can give you the link..
    You\'re either a 0 or a 1, alive or dead