Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the best firewall?

What's the best firewall?

I would make this a poll, but I don't know much about firewalls, I just would like everyones opinion on the firewalls you guys know about and what are the high and low points?
    A buttered piece of bread always lands butter side down;
    A cat always lands on its feet;
    A cat with a buttered piece of bread strapped to its back hovers feet above the ground in a state of quantum indecision

hehbris
    the best firewall is the power switch

Application layer proxy firewalls like Raptor (Symantec) and Gauntlet are more secure than stateful inspection firewalls like PIX and Checkpoint. The biggest drawback is performance though. Just about any firewall can do the job.......it's a matter of how your security infrastructure is designed. Just having a firewall is not enough.

Talking a firewall...where's the fire???

I enjoy my zone alarm pro! I will look into PIX, tiny and checkpoint... but thus far zone alarm pro has my heart! Anyone care to comment on zone alarm pro????

I *think* he meant THE power switch i.e. a computer thats not switched on cannot be hacked... which is very true!!!!
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)
    http://www.bytekill.net

Ok cheez_cake. I got the free version and I think it's ok. Best, it's easy to configure and don't give you any hassle once you've done it.

None of the software firewalls are totally secure, though. Negative knows a whole lot about this. Go to his homepage for further details.

And markfox, you seem like you know something about the difference between software FWs and hardware FWs. Perhaps you have a good link you wanna share?
    ---
    proactive

Unhappy so...

nevermind... sorry guys...

The powerswitch is a horrible firewall.. your computers unusable when you run the powerswitch firewall (really when you not runnning it)

I use currently use Tiny.. I like it, very customizable..
    I used to use ZA Pro, and it was nice and easy, unfortunately, in the end it stopped playing nice...
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

AntiOnline Senior Member
    The "best firewall" posts have been so frequent is in annoying! Please, there are a million posts in the AO forums on this subject. So please, look before you post.