Thread: One stop newbie guide

Post One stop newbie guide

I have been reading this board for a few weeks now and i have noticed some discussion, of newbies asking stupid questions. And the diffrent newbie guides. I would like to share with you my newbie guide. The one i use. And i am still a newbie.

Step one, get two $100 computers (p166)
    Step two, install dual boot of windows, and any unix, (linux,freebsd...)
    Step three, run crossover cable from on to the other.
    Step four, play
    Step five, if all else fails RTFM,

Then if(when, i'm sure you will) u still find something u don't know and can't figure out.
    Then ask questions.

Since i'm new in this posting bussiness a little background on me.
    I'm a 17 year old senior in highschool.
    At this moment i am in a Cisco CCNA class, just finishing up 2nd semester.
    I have been play with computers for years. Started fixing and building about three years ago. Just with in the last year i've gotten into networking and security. And just recently gotten in to programming. Worked a little with QBasic a few years ago but now moved to a current language of VB.

Just a little bit about me.

And for the record anyone who wants to "Flame" me for this, i couldn't really care. That is the one thing i really don't like about this board, but i guess its true everywhere. Why can't this crap end in high school. I mean were all on this board for a similar reason. Whether its to break security or create it. Were all here to learn.

I hope at least a few of you will be happy with the addition(me) to these threads.
    I know that i may never be all the things that i wanna be, but now is not the time to cry, nows the time to find out why. I wanted more than life could ever grant me.
    We are the people our parents warned us about.

Banned
    Welcome I look forward to your input!

Senior since the 3 dot era

fine

This basic hints are true

let get to the logic behind the post:
    (Ux) general operator
    Gx (get a cheap computer)
    Px (play with the settings)
    Lx (learning)
    ^ and operator
    -> if then

(Ux) [Gx ^ Px]
    (Ux) [Px ^ Lx]

Welcome dammitberky

Re: One stop newbie guide

Originally posted by dammitberky
    Since i'm new in this posting bussiness a little background on me.
    I'm a 17 year old senior in highschool.
    At this moment i am in a Cisco CCNA class, just finishing up 2nd semester.
    I have been play with computers for years. Started fixing and building about three years ago. Just with in the last year i've gotten into networking and security. And just recently gotten in to programming. Worked a little with QBasic a few years ago but now moved to a current language of VB.

We have a similar backgrounds except I'm 18, and I took Cisco for only half a year-decided I didnt' want to do networking for a living and quit the class....anyway, welcome to the BBS!
    “People don’t talk about anything.” [Clarisse]
    “Oh, they must!” [Guy]
    “No, not anything. They name a lot of cars or clothes or swimming pools mostly and say how swell! But they all say the same things and nobody says anything different from anyone else. And most of the time in the cafes they have the joke-boxes on and the same jokes most of the time, or the musical wall lit and all the colored patterns running up and down, but it’s only color and all abstract. And at the museums, have you ever been? All abstract. That\'s all there is now...\"
    -A conversation with Clarrise McClellan and Guy Montag from Fahrenheit 451

Senior since the 3 dot era

Re: Re: One stop newbie guide

Originally posted by cF_nM
    ... I took Cisco ...
    Cisco CCNA class? Question:

You guys could follow these classes in a regular schoolsystem?
    At my place there are no courses with firm names in it

Welcome-i have so much to say and too much time to express it but ill leave it at hello ......lol

Welcome to AO! the more the merrier!
    zion1459
    Visit: http://www.cpc-net.org
    \"Software is like sex: it\'s better when it\'s free.\" -Linus Torvalds

Angry newbie guides are worthless

A newbie guide is about as effective as screaming at a deaf person how dumb he is. There have always been people asking "stupid" questions and there will always be people asking "stupid" questions. Just because you or any one else writes one of your fabled newbie guides or guides on how not to get flammed just to garner banter and aquire the fabled "antipoint goodness" doesn't mean it will change anything or anyone. How many of these guides have come and gone? How many people have had a symbolic antionline moment that changes them from the hotmail hording script kiddie to a helpful admin who works with people to help them improve security. But as it is there are almost as many not getting flammed forums as there are unix/vs/windows forums. And I know you mean well and your intentions are good. You also look like you have a backround which is better than a vast majority of the posters. Well that being said welcome aboard.

well

I always 4t the basis of learning is to ASK QUESTIONS

That's why I said "stupid" questions and not stupid questions. The quote implys that others say it, but I don't think it.