Thread: Windows 2000 Service Packs

Windows 2000 Service Packs

I have 2 20GB hard drives and when i use windowsd 2000 with these the first one appears as 20 GB but the second one will only detect 8.4 GB... Windows XP solves this problem, which is why i've stuckl with XP for so long, but it really is starting to annoy me now... anyway I found out from microsoft.com that I need to install Windows 2000 service pack 2 into 2000 in order to solve the problem... My question is, do i need to put SP1 on before installing SP2 ??
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)
    http://www.bytekill.net

Arrow Re: Question

Hmmm, It would be a good idea. Thats what I did anyway. I installed Service Pack 1. Time went by, and I picked up Service Pack 2. Just to be cautious, I'd install one before two. Just a thought....
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

I have tried it both ways, and see no problems either way you choose to install it. Installing SP1 first would be the fail-safe way, but probably a waste of time as well. I personally feel there is no need to install SP1 first.

Alright, thanks!

As it happens, the second disk was NTFS formatted from XP (before I got rid of it!) and the 2000 setup didn't touch it, so its still got its full 18.5 GB (Formatted size, 20GB unformatted). If it *****s up and only sees 8.4 eventually i'll put SP2 on.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)

Service pack 2 contains all the fixs of sp1.

if you've been on the internet with win2k, without the service packs, i hope you didn't install iis. if its installed its enabled by default. anyone can access your system with admin rights.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Yeah, I have been on the net but...
    [1] I don't use IIS
    [2] I had ZAPro installed
    [3] I use apache

Thanks anyway. I tried IIS before but it kinda kept crasing and its as slow as hell, so i migrated to Apache on both Linux and Windows, and had no more problems with any of them!
    (The Lord Of The Rings)