Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: His Holiness Bill Gates

Question His Holiness Bill Gates

I don't know why "hackers" (some people have a problem with being called that) hate Microsoft.

Personally, I don't have a problem with them.

Windows has never caused me an amazing amount of problems. Of course I get the odd bsod and "illegal (illegal?!) operation" error message but a lot of the problems with the OS come from viruses made by well, guess who? "Hackers" or whatever "they" like to be called.

Maybe it's just me. Am I using Windows incorrectly or something. Oh well .

Nice talkin' to someone for a change. I have been spending a lot of time on AI programs on Telnet.

Jethro

[ Let's all start a petition to get a sad winking smilie ;( ]

Microsoft used to be my good friend. I went years without my windows 98se machine crashing, but then one day it did, and I had to reinstall windows and I lost a lot of important data. This pissed me off. Around the same time XP was coming out, and MS was promising more stability. I did not believe a word they said this time, and went out and bought mandrake linux 8.1. I have not had any problems with linux yet, although it takes a little getting used to because it is different than windows. Once you are out from under the MS umbrella things look differently in the world of computers.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

ms billy bob rule #1-backup backup backup!!! as it was that easy? ;( :sadwink: ?

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    I'll agree with ThePreacher here. It's been a long long time since anything stable came out of the gates at Redmond and for such a long time, MS has been able to get away with 'software murder'. Operating systems that crash repeatedly, programs the cascade fault the system because of their integration into the 'shell' of Windows, piss-poor management for memory (which started back in the day of Win95, even 3.11 was better), and various other things that haven't been fixed as of this writing. And I'm talking "fixed" as in it doesn't happen again. Their "patches" include other things unknown to the public (remember Win95's patch for networking and suddenly Netscape stopped working altogether?) and even then, the patch does not stop the problem. Being a programmer and a sysadm, I know there's problems with new software but ****, do you see car manufacturers making a vehicle that has a gas tank prone to explosion if the car gets broadsided and their mentality is "Oh well, those things happen..."? Hell no, you remember Firestone and Ford last year, right? And that's for only two issues, not anything like Windows. Yet people still accept the "Let's wait for the patches" and still get herded around like a bunch of mindless sheep that they are. Wake up and smell the crashing disks. MS doesn't give a rat's ass who wants what because in the end, MS will create whatever they want, shove it out half-assedly-done to the public, claim it's the End-All-Be-All (wasn't 98 that? wasn't ME that? wasn't 2k that? Isn't XP supposed to be that?), and sell millions because millions who don't know anything about what goes on after they hit the power button are now gleefully happy with their new 'experience' from MS. I'll never leave the 98SE platform for another MS OS (gaming only unfortunately) but the DAY that VMWare supports games w/o much of a hitch, I'm so there. I'm tired of listening to people proclaim that MS is the best when they know nothing of the concurrent issues that plague the OS arena. There's a reason I'm a unix sysadm and it's because I can do whatever I want, even at a user's shell level, it's because the product DOES what it says it's going to do and nothing covert is going on behind the scenes w/o my knowledge or consent. Welcome to the revolution of Open Source. Sun is doing it, IBM is doing it, countless small vendors are doing it, developers are doing it. Maybe all this can bring forth the change in MS that should've been done a long time ago, and that's force them to do what should've been done in the first place, and that's make a product that's good, does what it says and nothing more, and is stable. For God alone knows they've had plenty of time to do that, and money apparently isn't an issue, so what's the reason they haven't? Simple, because they can continue doing what they've done for years (see half-assed comment above). I, for one, won't tolerate it, and that's why I will go toe-to-toe with anyone who thinks MS is the best. Sad thing is, point for point, they always lose. Uptime wars, memory wars, program management, disk space issues, etc etc...all are won. It wouldn't be that way if MS actually gave a rat's ass about the product they're shovelling out the door. I know when I write code, and my name's on it, I'm damned sure that it does what it's supposed to, and if not, I fix it right away properly.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

MS

I have Ms on all 5 pc's couse my co-workers want it...
    If it were up to me I'd use all the hd's for LINUX

;(

:SADWINK: rulez
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Banned
    = closest thing to sad wink smilie plus is related to the topic.

Windows is ok, thats all Im saying, its been debated way to much and well Im not into startin another Winddows/Linux argument.

bawling no ;(-

But even if you ignore Windows, (hard and all as it is with big blue screens screaming at you) they are a really good software company.

I mean some of their games kick ass. Like Microsoft Flight Simulator. That game is pretty damn good. And 3D MovieMaker and..and.. (looks at software collection in corner)... umm... Microsoft Golf.

Have a "discovered I have eyebrows" day
    Have a choir day
    Have an "out of eye-patches" day
    Have a Harry Potter day
    Have a BSOD day
    Have a chateracs day

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Good point but you know what? Great games like AoE2, Rise of Rome, etc etc, as good as those games are....*drum roll* Ensemble Studios is to thank for that. All MS did is fund them and put their name on the box.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Well, MS is really still to thank for them, as they paid for the programs to be developed....

I have no problem with a lot of MS software... but some of it is horrible...

Also, the best thing about MS.. is their money.... mmmm money
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"