Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: music protection again

The major labels, have started releasing discs in europe with their new encryption. It is not all CDs that have this, but random ones. There is no way to rip it without external audio hardware.
    well.... i have heard this as well... i know some people trying to write a ripper that decrypts it. we'll see what happens

Originally posted by VictorKaum

Yeah but you don't have digital quality, just an analog copy. And, no offense, but mp3 does not sounds as good as a real audio CD (DDD mastered). It is impossible to get the same music depth with this low tech approach. I would say: listen to the original CD and your copy on a studio monitor system (let's say B&W speakers with a Mos-Fet class AA amplifier and you will hear the difference.
    I used to be a sound quality judge, for the United States Autosound Competition, and we often had discussions of this nature. Yeah on a super high end system, you can tell the difference between analog and digital(the 12 hertz thunderclap and ambiance). Most people dont have high end systems though. At home on my computer I am perfectly happy with mp3 quality sound as are 90% of other people. Then there is another problem, a lot of the content of CD's isnt digital quality in the first place. Only a sound quality nut with their Rane crossover/30 band equalizer combo and a 5.1 channel pro audio setup would really be concerned.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

I used to be a sound quality judge, for the United States Autosound Competition, and we often had discussions of this nature. Yeah on a super high end system, you can tell the difference between analog and digital(the 12 hertz thunderclap and ambiance). Most people dont have high end systems though. At home on my computer I am perfectly happy with mp3 quality sound as are 90% of other people. Then there is another problem, a lot of the content of CD's isnt digital quality in the first place. Only a sound quality nut with their Rane crossover/30 band equalizer combo and a 5.1 channel pro audio setup would really be concerned.
    You've said it all man
    If it weren\'t for electricity we\'d all be watching television by candlelight.

Senior since the 3 dot era
    Originally posted by ThePreacher

Alright, you two (ThePreacher and Tridentrue) are right at some point,
    but ThePreacher I was talking about DDD CD's they are full Digital and you probably heard the differnce too?
    I did
    the difference between a regular sound system and a super high end (like you call it) can only be heard if you put the 2 next to each other and listen (separate) to the first and then to the second.
    - The regular system sounds like noise (the louder the system plays the more there is transformation / distortion / sound compression, etc... there is no real increase of sound anymore)
    that's not all, most of these uses bass speakers that make the typical BOOM bass sound. This is NOT the real bass!
    What you feel when listening is: pain in the ears

- The super high end system sounds on all levels excellent, you get the music how it was ment to be, pure. The bass is short and powerfull, the mid's are crystalclear on all soundpressure levels and the high's are crispy.
    What you feel when listening is: emotion

I like some neutral sound reproduction I don't need the transformation made by the speakers.

Concerning MP3's: It doesn't matter on wich system they are played the quality is always lower than the original CD Digital recording. It could even be that on a high end system they will sound worse cause you can hear all the faults.

My point was: how to make a digital copy

Post VictorKaum

Yes VictorKaum, it's true that people can make analog copies, but with analog copies, the sound isn't that bad. Yes, music that is 320 kbps, is very good to have (and very rare for that matter), but 120 kbps isn't that bad to have eitiher. I have plenty of songs that are 120 kbps and are fine by me. It's not like I'm reselling the music on burned home-made CD's. Also, 192 kbps is near CD quality. So you don't need an ub3r-1337 digital copier to get good music. After all...we could be still stuck with vinal.
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

Well, all I had meant was that the only needs to be one analog copying, before and after that the signal can be digital, and with all the sound-quality issues that entails, it's not analogous to making copies with, say, casette tapes. Though yes, if you redirect your player cable to the (TV/Audio)-in jack of your whatever-purpose-pci card, there probably will be some degradation.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Re: VictorKaum

Originally posted by [WebCarnage]
    Yes VictorKaum, it's true that people can make analog copies, but with analog copies, the sound isn't that bad. Yes, music that is 320 kbps, is very good to have (and very rare for that matter), but 120 kbps isn't that bad to have eitiher. I have plenty of songs that are 120 kbps and are fine by me. It's not like I'm reselling the music on burned home-made CD's. Also, 192 kbps is near CD quality. So you don't need an ub3r-1337 digital copier to get good music. After all...we could be still stuck with vinal.
    Now you touched the real thing: vinyl
    Nothing goes above vinyl when it comes to warm sound.
    Vinyl is analog and has bad S/N ratio but you get: emotion.
    I'am a DJ and I play vinyl all the time. Vinyl definitly rulez when it comes to mixing. Nothing can touch that feeling.

Now the same goes for ub3r-1337 high end systems: they are able to give you a warm, clear sound reproduction. Listen to such a system and you get also emotion.
    you do need an ub3r-1337 digital copier if you want to get the best quality, I canot help not every1 want best quality.

Talking Re: VictorKaum

Originally Posted by: VictorKaum
    I'am a DJ and I play vinyl all the time. Vinyl definitly rulez when it comes to mixing. Nothing can touch that feeling.

Now the same goes for ub3r-1337 high end systems: they are able to give you a warm, clear sound reproduction. Listen to such a system and you get also emotion.
    you do need an ub3r-1337 digital copier if you want to get the best quality, I canot help not every1 want best quality.
    Hehe, so your a security expert AND a disk jockey. Whoa babe... I must admit, thats a feat yet to be accomplished by 99% of the worlds population. Vinyl is great. ...but it's size is the thing I hate. Imagine "portable 12" vinyl players - if you have a big enough pocket, but it! "

hehe, I'll take your word on that for the ub3r-1337 gear.
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

Re: Webcarnage

I must admit, thats a feat yet to be accomplished by 99% of the worlds population
    Thx for the compliment

Indeed one of the negative things about vinyl is the size and the weight. I'am not a strong, 'muscle' person (I'am a light, thin person) so it's a task to get those DJ cases where I want them. But I love vinyl.
    Anyway: portable vinyl players exist!

Thx to take my word for the ub3r 1337 digital CD recorders.

Post Re: Re: VictorKaum

Originally posted by VictorKaum

Few people in the world outside of audiophiles have much concern over signal to noise ratios, as long as they have their full range 5 1/4" speakers that play frequencies between 50 and 16,000 hertz they are happy. No an mp3 will never truly satisfy me, but as an inexpensive alternative to CD's I am happy. However after listening to the Sheffield Coustic Labs setup and test disc in a vehicle equpied with horn loaded compression drivers(not very common in cars) I found myself in desire of only the best in sound quality. Analog signal will not ever compare.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19