Thread: Disk Defrag...

Disk Defrag...

I tried to drefragment my hard-drive last night, left it going all night long, but it stayed at 0%. Whats wrong? I closed all apps, and the taskbar was empty except for the sound thing. I ant figure it out, and my my hard drive REALLY need to be drfraged! Please help!
    Coming Soon.......!

Let me guess.......you're using Windows 9x. It's built-in defragmenter SUCKS. Every time some process accesses the hard drive in any way, it starts over. One thing you can try is to turn off extra services such as your virus scanner while you're defragmenting. If that doesn't work, you can try booting in safe mode to defrag.

If that doesn't work, or you're not using a Windows 9x defragmenter, you can try getting O&O defrag (freeware ), or the demo version of Diskkeeper 6. I tried both, and didn't like either too well, but they both do the job.

I'm using Win ME, so I guess that could be the problem. And how do you boot in safe mode with Win ME? You press tab or something at startup right?
    Coming Soon.......!

I haven't used Windows ME since the beta version, but if it's anything like the other Windows OSs (excluding NT), the F8 key will bring you to the startup menu. The rest will explain itself. You have to hit it when Windows is just starting to load. If you want to be safe, you can just start tapping it from the second you turn your computer on until you get to the boot menu.

It worked, I figured out just after I posted how to boot in safe mode, but thanks for the help on gettig it to work!
    Coming Soon.......!

No problem.

Re: Disk Defrag...

Originally posted by bubbabobjoe
    I tried to drefragment my hard-drive last night, left it going all night long, but it stayed at 0%. Whats wrong? I closed all apps, and the taskbar was empty except for the sound thing. I ant figure it out, and my my hard drive REALLY need to be drfraged! Please help!
    No need for 'Safe Mode'...just turn off the screensaver next time...

Ouroboros
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor

I did have my screen saver off, it was some app interfering with it. I watched it and it kept saying "Disk Changed" or something like that.
    Coming Soon.......!

This is of academic interest only, as stflook has already posted the easiest way of doing this (boot in safe mode). Even thouigh you have closed down all your apps, you will almost certainly find that several tasks are still running. Most of these can be closed by selecting CTRL-ALT-DEL, and selecting 'End task' for everything except for 'Explorer'. Defrag should then run correctly, but you will still need to re-boot afterwards to restart everything.