among new parents was "will your kids grow up
    to be 'computer literate' or will they be 'left behind?"
    "Computer literate" meaning knowing how to
    write your own programs.
    Then Steve Jobs said "hogwash, I can make computers
    that ANYONE can use!"
    Today, most users would rebel if you suggested
    that they would benefit from learning a command-line
    interface, even just to supplement their GUI.
    My son, now 22, considers himself a "power user",
    but wouldn't dare trying to hack the registry.
    His answer to everything is "format and reinstall".
    Me, I just absolutely fell in love with DOS.
    Then I discovered LINUX.
    It's like DOS, only better.
    Like DOS on steroids.
    I use windows (don't we all?),but it frustrates me.
    You need to become...all together now
    COMPUTER LITERATE!
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Originally posted by Vorlin

*has his "No, I won't fix your computer" t-shirt coming from thinkgeek.com!*
    lol I have that shirt too, but I still fix my friends computers, damn should charge them.
    Let's put it this way, I think the Mac is a better alternative to windows. Expensive, but better.

Originally posted by Focmaester

lol I have that shirt too, but I still fix my friends computers, damn should charge them.
    Let's put it this way, I think the Mac is a better alternative to windows. Expensive, but better.
    But you can't dual boot with it, and you have to buy a totally new set of hardware.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Originally posted by Terr

But you can't dual boot with it, and you have to buy a totally new set of hardware.
    Yea...as well as write your own software..who codes for apple nowdays?

Originally posted by antihaxor
    Yea...as well as write your own software..who codes for apple nowdays?
    What a bunch of crap, there is a lot of software available for the Mac. And yes there are still ppl. who code for the Mac. Don't worry about that.

Originally posted by Focmaester

What a bunch of crap, there is a lot of software available for the Mac. And yes there are still ppl. who code for the Mac. Don't worry about that.
    just jokin Foc...don't get all riled now...hehe

I keep hearing the same crap about linux never being big on the home desktop, but take a look at linux. As recently as a few years ago it was near impossible to install without being a super computer geek. Now the developers are working harder every year to bridge the gap and make people want linux on the home desktop. This combined with projects like Lindows, wine, winlinux, and it is obvious that in a few years there will be no reason why people wont be able to use linux. It will become more user friendly over time and the differences between it and XP will diminish. Of course is this what we really want? Do you want your computer dummie mother to come up to you and say that linux is just as good as Microsoft? I certainly dont. I feel better being part of the minority.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

Re: Linux vs. Microsoft

Originally posted by Sp1d3r W0lf
    Ok, I am sorry but I have to do this. But I have seen a really annoying trend and myth that is flowing around this place. Running Unix does not make you special, nether does running a Microsoft OS. It is what you DO with the systems that make you who you are. I am growing ever so sick and tired of hearing people whine about how shitty Microsoft is and how Unix is sooo much better. How many of you are proficient in all the versions of the Microsoft and Unix operating systems to actually make that decision?
    I've used Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and NetBSD, and I grew up on Windows -- from DOS through to Win2k (haven't used XP yet) and every version of Windows in between.

Who's deciding who is proficient? What do you define as proficient? I might fit the bill (pardon the pun)...

Why do we have to jump on a bandwagon and deprive ourselves of knowledge and experience to make our own choices on the systems we run.
    Perhaps you're directing this post to only the bandwagon jumpers, but to be honest, having not run windows for anything other than games (and certainly not as a server OS) at home for more than two years, I don't feel deprived. I use Win2k, NT, and 98 extensively at work, and I deal with it every day. Coming home to my RH7.1 box feels more like relief, not like I'm depriving myself.

If you're directing this to new users, sure, I agree. I would encourage people to use it as extensively as they need, and if they use it to the same extent I have, or in the same way I have, chances are good they'll use Linux for the reasons I do.

Everything has its place in this industry. Microsoft is a leader in individual systems because not everybody is interested in an open sourced OS.
    Go read up on some history please, and then come back here and give us some actual information. Following that train of thought, how come we aren't all running Macs?

Yeah, Linux is free but can be just as simple as any Microsoft OS out there if you keep it basic (which most people do) Unix does have its place along side Microsoft and is gaining popularity in the business industry, but still has a ways to go.
    I don't understand your point here. Could you explain it further? What you're saying seems to be along the lines of "Your power windows won't work, which is why your tires are bald."

I swear, all of you running RedHat 7.1 with no concept of programming, networking, or any other form of technology really piss me off. I mean, smart ass remarks and copy/past out of articles does not make you useful or interesting.
    Umm, I don't know if you've noticed, but you take two of the more advanced computer topics, and then add 'or any other form of technology' to the end of the sentence. That kind of sweeping generalization is rather counterproductive when you're trying to be very specific, don't you think?

I'm not intending to offend, but do you think that ranting and namecalling make you interesting?
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

My stand on the whole "MS versus Linux" issue

I agree with what stflook said. This world has become to reliant on the supposed "power" of the "customizable" OS of Windows (insert version name here). I am sick of people saying how "cool" and "super-fast" AOL is... when I was doomed to use it before my phone line was revoked, I experienced nothing but newbie bullshit and horrible bandwidth... a 9600 baud modem got better speeds than I did on 56K! My stepfather LOVED AOL so the only reason I am not still a condemned AOL user is because that same stepfather racked up on the phone bill almost an hour long of international long distance rates to... Madagascar? FOR WHAT? PHONE SEX! It is user like him that make me want to raise a family on nothing but Non-Microsoft operating systems (Linux, FreeBsD, Mac OS, etc.)

I have said what I felt was necessary...
    (Chicks dig Unix... well, they should!)
    Welcome to Hell , where we have served more than all of the fast food chains put together! And the number grows everyday! Stay tuned!