Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LiNuX UnIx

LiNuX UnIx

Hello its me again i want to ask a question and finally have somone answer it hat is good good open source OS for someone like me who is an mcse to learn and play with so that i can have a basic understanding of unix/linux command lines.

EvIl
    Ee

I'm not totally sure what you're trying to ask here, but I'm going to try to answer it the best I can.

First, if you want to learn Linux, SuSE, Mandrake, and Red Hat are all good distributions to start with. SuSE and Mandrake would be best, but Red Hat will do just fine if you can't find the others.

If you want to learn UNIX by getting an open-source operating system, you're looking in the wrong place. The best way to learn basic UNIX is with a book on it, and an old machine with just UNIX installed on it. Linux has a UNIX platform, so it's also a good place to start. If you want to learn to mess with the kernel, you will want a book on C. I have a book on C programming for Linux from the "Teach Yourself in 21 Days" series.

Senior since the 3 dot era
    I suggest to go out and purchase a distribution (like SuSe or Mandrake or RedHat) check your hardware compatibility before you purchase!

Why purchase when it's free available? If you buy a distribution this will include the manuals and startersguide and things like that. If you are a total newbie to Linux this will give you some start point.

Good luck

Other way -> get a distribution from the net and study the HOWTO's from Linux.org

SuSE 7.3 is probably the best distribution for beginners, it will install things like compilers (gcc) and desktops (KDE, Gnome) for you, which takes out most of the hassle. It's also pretty good on hardware detection and support.

The 24 hours guides aren't very good IMHO, I'd recommend The Linux Bible (or Unix Bible) as a better starting point.

Unix is somewhat different from Linux, although most of the commands are either exactly the same or very similar. Try getting used to a desktop first under Linux and using the terminal windows before moving on to command line only.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Either SuSE 7.3 or Mandrake 8... both are good for beginners, and mandrake has fully automated default-install. I don't know about SuSE, but from what people say it's fairly easy to install, configure and use.
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)
    http://www.bytekill.net

Just dont accidentally delete windows like I almost did.....
    There are only two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not so sure about the universe...

Albert Einstein

Originally posted by Rewandythal
    Either SuSE 7.3 or Mandrake 8... both are good for beginners, and mandrake has fully automated default-install. I don't know about SuSE, but from what people say it's fairly easy to install, configure and use.
    Yes SuSE is easy to install. It's about as easy to install as Windows.

Discovering Linux

I've said it before, I'll say it again now.
    Get "WinLinux" and install it.
    installs in windows and boots like booting to dos.
    No repartitioning, etc.
    Try it, you'll like it.

WinLinux or its variants are OK for getting used to Linux but still keeping hold of your precious Windows... But it'll be slow... very slow, and that might put you off Linux if you think its slow when it's only Windows that is slow, if you get what I mean, and Linux is running from Windows.

Anyway, you can dual-boot easily enough so its not a problem, and with these more recent linux setup programs such as those for Mandrake (7.1 and above) or SuSE (7.1) you can resize partitions of various sizes.

The best way is to make a backup of any important stuff in Windows, then just go for it... dual boot with Linux and if you like it keep it, if not repartition, reformat and put Windows back on (Windows benefits from a reformat and reinstall every once in a while anyway!)
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)
    http://www.bytekill.net

Thank you all for replying and not cracking on me .Does anyone know if openbsd supports checkpoint firewall.? Thanks i will try suse linux . let me explain what i am trying to do i am studying for my sans gsec certification and want to setup a security lab with checkpoint and snort , and obviously unix and windows.

thanks EvIlelF
    Ee