Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Block People from viewing site?

Block People from viewing site?

Hello,
    Are there any way to block an IP so that someone couldn't view your site?
    Thanks,
    Eric

Yes, there are a number of ways to do this, it all depends on how you want to block IPs and using which technology. It's possible to write software or configure the server to do the hard work, or alternatively use a PHP script to filter out IP addresses.

The problem with these methods is threefold:
    1. Anyone running Unix and with some TCP/IP knowledge can spoof their IP address.
    2. ISPs tend to hand out IPs dynamically, if someone disconnects and then reconnects they will likely have a different IP.
    3. If you ban a group of IPs you may be blocking legitimate users at the same time.

Find a PHP tutorial or read your server's documentation for details of how to implement IP blocking.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Thanks for all the help.
    I am pretty sure that the person is only using a home computer but they probably have dial up.
    Thanks,
    Eric

Even so, If you can/would set your website up as a restricted site (username/password required), you could possibly filter this person out...probably an eternal battle, but some people don't think it's worth it to get kicked out and rejoin multiple times.
    On the other hand, it would keep casual users out of your site, also...

Ouroboros
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor

Even so, If you can/would set your website up as a restricted site (username/password required), you could possibly filter this person out...probably an eternal battle, but some people don't think it's worth it to get kicked out and rejoin multiple times.
    On the other hand, it would keep casual users out of your site, also...
    This can be tricky if the peson your trying to block out has knoledge about geeky stuff like Java and HTML. From personal experiance. Java ISN'T the best thing to keep a user out. For I've even seen password protected sites useing Java reveal their password in plain text just by viewing their source*.

var=password(thisisthepassword)

^--something like that.

Heh. Just becareful. If you know the guy and he's a complete idiot it might just work. Peace.
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

That'd be Java*Script* not Java and there are ways of hiding or "encrypting" passwords in JavaScript anyway, as far as I know... although they are breakable given enough time and patience!

Using Java instead of JavaScript, or using JSP would probably give good enough password protection, as would PHP, or a CGI program... there's loads of ways!
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)
    http://www.bytekill.net

I have found away to block the IP using PHP.
    Code:
    <meta http-equiv='refresh' content='0; URL=http://www.skgastonia.com/banned.htm'> 

<? $incomingIp = getenv(REMOTE_ADDR);

if($incomingIp == "64.92.76.38"){
    echo " ";
    }?>
    The reason I need to do this is an employee's ex wife keeps coming in and putting all kinds of stuff in our guestbook. I did take it down for the moment but would like to return it. I am also pretty sure she has a very basic understanding of computers so I don't think she could spoof the IP or anything.

I couldn't make it a restricted site because we sell products from it.

Oh well thanks for everyone's help.
    Thanks,
    Eric

are you sure its your x behind it. i just went to your site and i think your rude. your site does not allow surfers to use the back button of their browser to go to the previous page. If i were the average shopper, looking for what ever the hell it is your selling and i found your page through a search engine. Then found i couldn't get back to the results page to compare, i would be extremly pissed. most of us here wouldn't be stuck with having to start the search over again, we could get back to it, but most couldn't.
    as a word of advice, loose that "feature". it does not make you look trust worthy and could loose you sales.

But if your sure its your X, you could ask LIQUIDWEB for their assistance in blocking her.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I do not know why it would block you from using the back button. Unless it is because of the way I set the script up, to block her. I guess I will have to change that Yes we are 100% sure it is an X wife.

Thanks,
    EB
    Thanks,
    Eric

From the info i got from a dig, i gather the web site is hosted off premmises, but you could add a script to you guest book page to grab and send you info, the ipaddress, os etc., and if she really dosn't know that much about computers you might get the name of the user logged on and more.
    Either send her a copy threatening to sue, or have the info tracked down threw the isps, that would require a lawer, and get a restraining order.
    Web pages that don't allow me to go back are a personal gripe of mine. Sorry if i was out of line.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”