Thread: Registry Editing With JAVA

Talking Registry Editing With JAVA

I want to edit Win Registry using JAVA now i couldnt find any way to do this in any of the so called good books...and even the internet lacks material on this topic ...could some one help me.....

What i want to do exactly is to rename and insert keys in the registry .....

anpother problem...>> a file called ctfmon.exe keeps appearing in the taskbar (Me) even after deleting it from the startup (msconfig)......actually if i disable it from the startup tab (msconfig) i get multiple entries for the same......What the hell is happening.

Thank you in advance for ur help

Hi mom!
    I can't tell you how to edit the winreg in Java, I'm sorry, but I can tell you what to do with that ctfmon.exe problem. I ripped this from this page at Microsoft.com. It tells you what the program does, how to remove it, and what the concequences of removal are. I'll quote the WinME steps for removal for you, but please, read the MS-page first.

Can I remove the Ctfmon.exe file?
    Removing the Ctfmon.exe might cause problematic behavior in your Office XP programs, so removing it is not recommended. To prevent Ctfmon.exe from running, follow these steps.
    Step 1: Uninstall Alternative User Input
    To uninstall the alternative user input feature, set the installation state to Not Available in Office XP Setup.

Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me), Microsoft Windows 98, or Microsoft Windows NT 4.0:
    Quit all Office programs.

Click Start , point to Settings , and then click Control Panel .

In Control Panel, double-click Add/Remove Programs .

On the Install/Uninstall tab, click to select Microsoft Office XP product , where Office XP product is the name of the specific Office product being used. If you are using a standalone version of one of the Office programs, click to select the appropriate product in the list. Click Add/Remove .

In the Maintenance Mode Options dialog box, select Add or Remove Features , and then click Next . This displays the Choose installation options for all Office applications and tools dialog box.

Click the plus sign (+) next to Office Shared Features to expand it.

Click the icon next to Alternative User Input , and then select Not Available .

Click Update .

NOTE : If you have multiple Office XP products installed, for example, Office XP Professional and Publisher 2002, you must repeat the preceding steps for each installed product.

oblio
    the com.ms.wfc.app.* package provides methods to read and write to the registry. unfortunatly, with all com.ms packages, it is only available with Microsoft Visual J++. Sun offers no API for this although there possibly could be one made by a 3rd party individual or person.

A quick question relating to Java and registry access.

To access the registry from an applet it surely has to be signed by a trusted third party right?

oblio
    correct

Some one said use REMOTE Method in comments.......now i will be using frames so applets go out of picture.......now RMI only gives refrence of an object from a remote location...that object will again will be in java..so the point is how will THAT object access the registry...one more thing if registry editing could be done in plain old c++ ,native methods could come in handy..and one more thing does the package provided by microsoft work with SUn's JDk....because if it does then no problem...and can i some how get hold of this package (free of cost obvi.).....

thanx

oblio
    Theoretically it could work, but it may have dependencies on other MS only packages. You could very easily create a JNI method in C++ to do this. I suggest asking on the forum on java.sun.com

oblio
    oh because the compiler is writen by MS it might be very likely that there are non java API methods within these packages.