Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NT workstartion 4.0

Angry NT workstartion 4.0

Hi ppl, i have a ****en problem just got a new laptop hot, anyway its got NT workstation on it 4.0 it will only allow me to logon to a network domain and there are none available , although my desktop can c it wich the domain is KFIAPLORL45127 but i cannot access it, are there anytools which can sniff out passwords ive tried @stake LC3 and ANTISNIFF, but no good, is there a way i can boot to DOS or boot to standard user..

I get a network menu so i can only boot to Ethernet or dialup soo please help all suggestions welcome btw there is no FDD or CD, it is a DELL Latitude P3 128 mb
    thanks alot all

Senior since the 3 dot era

Do you have other NT machines?

If you have another WinNT or Win2K box you can set up a domain on a little LAN between your pc's. Then you can reset the passwords of your Laptop from user administration at the other (server) PC.

Nah i havnt but thanks anyway
    greatly apreaciated

LC3 does not work because you do not have administrator priviliges. Go to www.winternals.com and download an evaluation copy of NTFSDOS. The evaluation copy will let you copy files from NTFS drives even when booting from a standard DOS (FAT16/32) boot disk.
    Copy the SAM file found inthe %system%\system32\config directory. You will now be able to transfer this file to a machine (even Win98) and run LC3 to find the available passwords for the local domain.
    Hope this helps.

Re: Vannes

Indeed that's a good way to start but Causion said in his post
    btw there is no FDD or CD, it is a DELL Latitude P3 128 mb
    So how could you boot with an NTFSDOS copy without FDD?

You are right - my mistake. Any suggestions as to how he could transfer the SAM to another machine without an FDD?

Yeah

You can *not* get the SAM in the %system% when NT is running, it holds a lock on it, but you can get the SAM file in the NT Repair directory. Then you can crack this with LC3.

Now the difficulty is to get the SAM...
    If there is some shared source use that... after all you don't need to transfer the sam if you *have* another box. Just use the method I posted before. Set the domain on the other server box to that of the laptop and reset the user.

Isn't it possible to change login domain before startup / network boot? I think Novell Netware login can do that.

If you can bypass the logon screen then go in and change the network settings to log on to workgroup. You could also try booting up in safe mode and changing it.
    Have you tried running LC3 from the desktop? Or just the laptop?
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

NT can always log in locally. If the option has been removed from the logon prompt (no easy task, it took me awhile scouring the registry to figure out how), you can still specify it by using localhost/%username% in the user field.

You should also note that the local computer name will appear in the domain field, though it is not a domain. A domain name of "KFIAPLORL45127" makes me think that it is probably the computer's netbios name, randomly generated. Which means you are attempting to log in locally anyway.
    -Shkuey
    Living life one line of error free code at a time.

tHANKYOU all for your help but i have had no success
    i have done a port scan of the laptop and port 135, 139, 1017 and 12345 (Officescan Client) is there a way from here! getting desperate feel like throwin it threw the window thanks alot ppl when im rich i re-inherit you all