Thread: Could this be a virus

Question Could this be a virus

I just saw this in my cousin's comp ..
    When I start Windows Media Player it takes a long time to start. I pressed Ctrl+Alt+Del and in the Tasks window I found an application called <unknown> .. Does anyone know what this is .. is it some application, virus, etc.! ?

Please reply
    Thanx

Did you scan your computer? Do you even have a virus scanner? If you're concerned about a virus, you should try a scan first thing. If you don't have a virus scanner, there is a free one called AVG. You can get it here.

I doubt that's a virus (even though I indicated otherwise above). When one makes a virus, they typically don't do something lame like choke your system resources. As for the unknown appilcation, my first instinct is to say "Windows sucks", as that's usually what the problem is (to be vague about it). Still, it never hurts to be cautious.

Windows Media Player sucks. Its features suck, and it takes too many resources for what it does. You should try Winamp. It's far more powerful than Windows Media Player, and takes up a fraction of the resources. You can get it here.

More probz

Yes .. I use Winamp and I installed it in my cousin's comp as well. I scanned with McAfee and Pc-Cillin 2K but they reported no virus.

Now therez a new prob. My PC-Cillin is generally sitting in the system tray. I have a GeForce256. When I play Unreal Tournament things go fine for some time but later the game becomes real slow. Framerate decreases like hell. This continues .. even if I try to play VCDs after playing the game ..!.. The frame rate seems something like 5 frames/sec. BAD!!! ..

And my friend who runs Win2K on a GeForce2 Ultra faces delays in switching applications. Adobe Photoshop 6 takes a looong time to start .. and so do other applications. He is currently making a game in VC using DirectX 8.1 and he is really concerned since he doesn't know what to do.

Thanks
    ------------------------
    Die Microsoft .. Die
    ------------------------