Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Not to Get Flamed - Part II

Banned

How Not to Get Flamed - Part II

Ok here we are part II of the antiflame thread.

Now this tries to deal with:

• How to ask Questions
    • Questions not to ask!
    • Things you should know about AO

How to ask Questions
    Now we all know that when you ask questions you sometimes get a warm welcome to say the least.
    This can often leave you bewildered or make you 'afraid' to ask again for fear of looking stupid.
    Now it may not be the question that annoys others but how it is phrased, lets take a look how to approach a question and get what you want.

Firstly try not to be vague, this annoys other users, even the helpful ones. Remember vague questions=vague answers.
    Try to be specific.
    Asking 'How do I hack' will probably get you a link to google or other links to sites.
    So what you need to do is get perspective a particular subject and ask about problems you are having learning it or how to accomplish your goal.
    This way people can actively help you out in a more positive and constructive way.

Secondly dont use CAPS LOCK, you will get flamed for this, its brash and gives the effect of abuse so avoid at all costs.

Thirdly dont act like you know it all or seem abusive, nobody helps someone who acts all high and migthy as well as well as looks down on others.

Lastly be nice, being nice means people like to help you out and will offer more time perhaps.

Oh and remember if youre question dosent get answered do not post again the same message, try rephrase it or make sure its in the right forum.

If youre still stuck hit IRC
    irc.antionline.com
    #antionline
    People there are very helpful and quick with answers, if MsMittens is there youre in luck.

PM is another method but if you dont get a reply dont keep sending PM to the same person, they probably dont know, have no time or are just plain lazy.

Questions Not to Ask
    Now remember AntiOnline is not a 'cracker site' or 'hax0r site' 'script kiddie site', it is a site that learns about how they work and how we can secure ourselfs.
    It is a security site which does not condone illegal activity, so dont ask about anything illegal.
    It will earn you a flame or the infamous google link.

Questions you should check up on are:
    'How do I hack Hotmail/Yahoo/E-MAIL accounts' - A very big no-no.
    'How do I hack'- Please do not ask this.
    'How do I deface' - Learn HTML, make a site and see what work it consists of, you wont deface then.
    'How do I use/get/infect someone a/with trojan - The lowest form of anything, even crackers despise trojans. Dont ask.
    'Where can I get Warez'- Umm no.
    'How do I do sometime illegal/immoral/unethical' - ^^

There are sub-forums for this kinda talk so go there or to a different site and please dont ask any question of this kind.

Oh and one more thing if you can do a search if you are unsure about your question, it may have been asked before and you can see if it was answered or whether its acceptable.

Ok thats all for now, just spent a good while sitting here writing, Im off to IRC now, thanks for reading.

Ennis.

Thumbs up wooooo hoooooooo im first

*takes yet more notes form your post*wheres you fan club man i want to subcribe LOL. Anyway thanks for the info and such, and the time spent helping newbi such as i out.
    ForeverLearning

Talking

Some good places to go to for learning "hacking":

http://www.happyhacker.org

http://www.whitehouse.com

Haven' t been flamed yet, but I am still....Wet,
    behind the ears of course!
    \"And everyone knows, that the world is full of stupid people\"

Good stuff, Ennis. Keep up the good work.
    Life is just a series of decisions, each one can alter your future and you can possibly end your life at any moment. Do you really want to be under the care of the Microsoft Support Center?!?!

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Good stuff, although it'd work a lot better if we didn't have certain types of people always running around flaming people for no apparent reason other than to piss them off.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

nice info... for those ppl that are new, like me!

hmm.. may I ask if there is someone in here from Sweden?

Originally posted by redsdemon
    Haven' t been flamed yet, but I am still....Wet,
    behind the ears of course!
    Yes you are, I'm guessing you're going to enjoy this moment.

I bet you don't look anything like the image you'd like to portray of yourself, ey slapper?

PZ

Re: How Not to Get Flamed - Part II

Originally posted by Ennis
    Ok here we are part II of the antiflame thread.

Now this tries to deal with:

• How to ask Questions
    • Questions not to ask!
    • Things you should know about AO

How to ask Questions
    Now we all know that when you ask questions you sometimes get a warm welcome to say the least.
    This can often leave you bewildered or make you 'afraid' to ask again for fear of looking stupid.
    Now it may not be the question that annoys others but how it is phrased, lets take a look how to approach a question and get what you want.

Firstly try not to be vague, this annoys other users, even the helpful ones. Remember vague questions=vague answers.
    Try to be specific.
    Asking 'How do I hack' will probably get you a link to google or other links to sites.
    So what you need to do is get perspective a particular subject and ask about problems you are having learning it or how to accomplish your goal.
    This way people can actively help you out in a more positive and constructive way.

Secondly dont use CAPS LOCK, you will get flamed for this, its brash and gives the effect of abuse so avoid at all costs.

Thirdly dont act like you know it all or seem abusive, nobody helps someone who acts all high and migthy as well as well as looks down on others.

Lastly be nice, being nice means people like to help you out and will offer more time perhaps.

Oh and remember if youre question dosent get answered do not post again the same message, try rephrase it or make sure its in the right forum.

If youre still stuck hit IRC
    irc.antionline.com
    #antionline
    People there are very helpful and quick with answers, if MsMittens is there youre in luck.

PM is another method but if you dont get a reply dont keep sending PM to the same person, they probably dont know, have no time or are just plain lazy.

Questions Not to Ask
    Now remember AntiOnline is not a 'cracker site' or 'hax0r site' 'script kiddie site', it is a site that learns about how they work and how we can secure ourselfs.
    It is a security site which does not condone illegal activity, so dont ask about anything illegal.
    It will earn you a flame or the infamous google link.

Questions you should check up on are:
    'How do I hack Hotmail/Yahoo/E-MAIL accounts' - A very big no-no.
    'How do I hack'- Please do not ask this.
    'How do I deface' - Learn HTML, make a site and see what work it consists of, you wont deface then.
    'How do I use/get/infect someone a/with trojan - The lowest form of anything, even crackers despise trojans. Dont ask.
    'Where can I get Warez'- Umm no.
    'How do I do sometime illegal/immoral/unethical' - ^^

There are sub-forums for this kinda talk so go there or to a different site and please dont ask any question of this kind.

Oh and one more thing if you can do a search if you are unsure about your question, it may have been asked before and you can see if it was answered or whether its acceptable.

Ok thats all for now, just spent a good while sitting here writing, Im off to IRC now, thanks for reading.

Ennis.
    yeah all of the above, ****in idiot!

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Talking

Thank you Ennis for putting together another great post on how not to get flamed. I would like to add some thoughts if I may.

First, Paul Zest shows something that often happens on message boards like this one: A habit of "repeating" the entire post and replying to it. Rather than quoting the whole post, quote only the portions that you are replying to. The best example of this in real life is what I do. I'm an instructor. I don't think I've ever had a student repeat my entire lecture back to me and then make one comment. Usually you will focus on one point.

We have to keep in mind that when we are posting and replying it should be consider no different than if we met on the street. So you are not going to ask a question by yelling (aka cap locks being used) or verbally abusing someone you don't know (and very few members really know each other here).

Additional thoughts include reading the post carefully. I've run into this once (and have done it myself) where someone replied to a post but failed to notice the date of an article. They ended up looking silly be making a time-dependent comment. So make sure you are reading what is there, not what your mind thinks is there.

Just some comments from the peanut gallery.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage