Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer Related Injuries

Computer Related Injuries

Though this is a security related site, I thought I would address this anyways.

Several of my classmates complain regularly that their eyes hurt after a couple of hours of using their computers…and some after only half an hour!
    As for me…my computer has become an extension of my body. Though I’ve never had problems with my eyes hurting I have developed a bump on my left wrist joint that hurts when I touch it. [Should probably get it checked out] I’ve heard of people getting carpel tunnel syndrome, tendonitis and numbness from nerve damage. Argh.

I’m wondering if any of you have experienced computer related injuries? Or do you know of anyone who has?

PS. This woman should win a Darwin award in my opinion [True story!]:
    There was a woman whose basement had flooded. Guess what the first thing she did was? She went into her basement where her computer was located and decided to start it up. Unfortunately for her, her computer related injury [or stupidity related injury] could not be ‘fixed’ by a visit to the doctor. RIP.

:::laffin:::

okay I've got one for you....

A few years back I was working on an old AST desktop system... unfortunately while poking around in there I gashed my left thumb pretty bad on the sheet metal of the case....

6 stitches.... still have the scar.... when I told the doctor it was work related and would be covered by workmans comp.... he asked what I did for a living...

uhm well I'm a network administrator.... to which he replied "what did ya do, fall outta your chair??"

as far as the ergonomics, I have seen a few problems with people encountering carple tunnel and a few back related injuries from seating. I dont use the mouse much at all, however I do get a sore elbow when I do use it for extended periods of time (due to it resting on the edge of the desk)

~THEJRC~
    ~THEJRC~
    I\'ll preach my pessimism right out loud to anyone that listens!
    I\'m not afraid to be alive.... I\'m afraid to be alone.

Unhappy jelly

I use a jelly filled wrist guard pad. It's nice and it helps

once i cut my self with a pneumatic drill cutting holes in my case
    one time i left the case fall in my foot in the way to a LAN
    without counting all the shocks damn, the eye damage that now don't affect but in the future could be a problem,
    Nobody Born The Best
    But Some Born To Be The Bests...

Talking

i recently (a month or so ago) got a copy off of an antec 1040B Case, Full tower... the case was grade B ... :\ as luck would have i i reached inside and there are all the pieces of metal which had been cut but the tips of them still on! i tried to pry one off with my and cut my thumb pretty bad... lol I would entertain myself by looking through the gash at people it was so deep! haha
    Search First Ask Second. www.google.com

*sniff*

you really mean it....
    I'm not the only one!!

you guys sure know how to make a person feel like he belongs...

*sniff*

~THEJRC~
    ~THEJRC~

About a 3 months ago my beloved WindowsME froze on me while I was multi-tasking. I ended up punching the roll-out keyboard tray. The result was a broken keyboard tray and I cut up my hand pretty bad. It took me about 45min to figure out how to fix it and glue and nail all the pieces back on so my parents wouldn't notice. They did notice it 3 weeks later and that resulted in some severe punishment...'No Computer for a Week.'

i remember that my first Full tower had afew fans paint job done , water cooler system and thermometer in it but i passed thru hell to build it cuts, shocks, stabs... yeah stabs, i steal remenber my mother saying "i spend alot a money in this case and why you are cuting holes in it" but all turn to be alright

anybody here have done a case mod before?
    Nobody Born The Best
    But Some Born To Be The Bests...

After my moron 18 year old cousin got candy on a floppy and then decided to rinse it of and put into the drive still wet, for some reason she left the disk in. The candy dried into the drive while I was away. I came back found her prying at it with a screw driver.
    My poor old Mac Daddy!! I hurt my hand hitting her. I then dropped the 'puter on my foot dragging it away.
    \"And everyone knows, that the world is full of stupid people\"

I've been known to catch some shrapnel in the eye from the use of my trusty dremel Code....

I've also been known to straighten out Sun E-450's with come-alongs and bar clamps, and use a forklift to perform miracle work on rack's and other various items.... no injuries from those yet... thank god..

oh my.... we seem to have strayed waaaaay off topic... he he

~THEJRC~
    ~THEJRC~